|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Natchez trace

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also want to do this with friends of ours the whole length north to south. I am a bit hesitant because I pull a 37 foot trailer so I'm 57 ft. long in total. Is it possible with that long of rig? I have not done extensive research on it as yet.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

We also want to do this with friends of ours the whole length north to south. I am a bit hesitant because I pull a 37 foot trailer so I'm 57 ft. long in total. Is it possible with that long of rig? I have not done extensive research on it as yet.

Not a problem, some folks get nervous on anything less than a six lane freeway. The last time I drove it there were a few places where the pavement was poor, but that may be good now. It is a slow go but that is the best part, take time to smell the roses.

Driving south you will be driving into the sun, not a big deal with a lot of tree cover but if possible consider reversing your plan.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

As Lynnmor wrote, the rig length will be no issue on the Trace. But, if you are a high top 5er, some of the exits may be an issue. I do not know about this personally as I need 10'. As there is Zero commercial traffic, you may be the highest top to go through there this year.

Others wrote that the turn-out might be tight. I know this to be a fact, but the book is still out in the coach library so I can't help much, but google earth can. If where you stop is an impediment to others, do not fret as long as they can get in and out. Everybody stopping is on tour and hopefully in no rush as the speed limit is enforced.

If you do the run in the spring, you will not be driving though a "Tunnel of Trees" but you will lack the sun cover going south. We have only run it going south and have never had a bad time of it.

If next spring goes as I currently plan, it will be our fourth total run of the Trace. I am looking forward to it. We may be leading a caravan again too.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

junmy3

Middle Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I drove the parkway a free years ago. One of our best experiences was at Grand Gulf Military Monument Park. It has good campground and a great museum. We will definitely go there again if we are back in the area
We enjoyed our trip very much. We should have given ourselves more time. it took us 4 driving days but 10 days total because we stayed 2 or 3 nights at the campgrounds that we started at.

* This post was edited 09/05/20 06:32pm by junmy3 *

Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

With the toad we're about 72'. No problems except my former note on some of the limited access points of interest. It's a great route.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Natchez trace
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.