RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Camping in sub freezing weather

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Camping in sub freezing weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

magicbus wrote:

memtb wrote:

free radical wrote:

Fwiw
Ive been down to minus 20 with no problems,..


This is another testimony, that all campers/rv’s are not created equal. While you will use considerably more propane, especially if the rv is large (ours is a 39 foot 5th wheel), the are several (some of the best are no longer in production) that can handle -20 F quite well.

Uh... when a Canadian poster mentions -20, my guess is they would mean -20C, not -20 F. A small but important difference.

Dave


Dave, after I made my post, and then saw his location.....I wondered if he was talking about -20 C. Yep....a fairly significant difference!

With our first really good 4 season unit, we enjoyed several minus 30 F mornings with no issues, with our newer unit, I’m not certain how well it would handle the -30’s F.... -20’s, we’re good! memtb

Haha you make it sound as if minus 20 Celsius is fun !
-20 C is - 4 F btw
At those temps water in the river froze one foot thick. [emoticon]

Id highly recomend diesel heater Espar or its much cheaper Chinese copy.
See Foresty forest chanel he uses that one full time living in some arctic conditions.

It blows dry hot air so no problem with moisture like propane does.
One can also burn kerosene in those things.

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

Full Member

Joined: 05/19/2021

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/05/21 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give up snow skiing and take up water skiing. Problem solved.


Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/07/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sure would've been nice if the OP had given us an update. Apparently his only posts were on this thread.

I hope he survived the trip!!! LOL [emoticon]

~Rick


2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.


K3WE

Missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 05/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/13/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year our plumbing froze at 25 degrees (Camper supposedly winter-capable)

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/13/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

Last year our plumbing froze at 25 degrees (Camper supposedly winter-capable)
Just running the furnace or some other supplemental heat?
Just the fresh water froze?


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/14/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

memtb wrote:

magicbus wrote:

memtb wrote:

free radical wrote:

Fwiw
Ive been down to minus 20 with no problems,..


This is another testimony, that all campers/rv’s are not created equal. While you will use considerably more propane, especially if the rv is large (ours is a 39 foot 5th wheel), the are several (some of the best are no longer in production) that can handle -20 F quite well.

Uh... when a Canadian poster mentions -20, my guess is they would mean -20C, not -20 F. A small but important difference.

Dave


Dave, after I made my post, and then saw his location.....I wondered if he was talking about -20 C. Yep....a fairly significant difference!

With our first really good 4 season unit, we enjoyed several minus 30 F mornings with no issues, with our newer unit, I’m not certain how well it would handle the -30’s F.... -20’s, we’re good! memtb

Haha you make it sound as if minus 20 Celsius is fun !
-20 C is - 4 F btw
At those temps water in the river froze one foot thick. [emoticon]

Id highly recomend diesel heater Espar or its much cheaper Chinese copy.
See Foresty forest chanel he uses that one full time living in some arctic conditions.

It blows dry hot air so no problem with moisture like propane does.
One can also burn kerosene in those things.


I never suggested it was fun....merely quite doable when properly prepared.

We spend several weeks most every year boondocking with all comforts of home (water, ect) anticipating....no expecting some nights below zero F. In fact....we occasionally go ice fishing, with all compliments aboard and have been out in -20F temps.

Again, it doable when properly set-up! There is no rule in RVing that we all must flee to Arizona or souther Florida for the winter months, or hole-up in our homes awaiting the next summer! memtb


Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl


richclover

WY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/18/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, Todd. Wife and I just returned from the yearly October camp (which happens to coincide with elk hunting season). Another “test” on the relatively new 5’er. Nice and warm, nothing froze. Temperatures at night in the mid-teens F. Burned through lotsa propane, thermostat set at 55 night and 60 at wake up.

A really fun camp with good friends. Yes, Fun!


Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/18/21 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy Rich, Glad that you had a good outing! Were any animals harmed during your outing? [emoticon] memtb

richclover

WY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/19/21 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Howdy Rich, Glad that you had a good outing! Were any animals harmed during your outing? [emoticon] memtb


Wife and I went for the camp, don’t need the groceries. Others, however, were successful in saving a few from suffering through another winter.

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/19/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

memtb wrote:

Howdy Rich, Glad that you had a good outing! Were any animals harmed during your outing? [emoticon] memtb


Wife and I went for the camp, don’t need the groceries. Others, however, were successful in saving a few from suffering through another winter.


Good deal.....glad that your boondocking adventure wasn’t a “real” adventure! Kudos to those that provide relief to our wildlife! [emoticon] memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Camping in sub freezing weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.