|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
clintbrooks1767

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

I'm new to RVing. Just bought a 5th wheel. I'm going to take it to Angel Fire NM this January and go snow skiing. I've been skiing in NM for almost 20 years and the temperature routinely can get to 20 or 30 degrees BELOW freezing.

My unit has a fully enclosed ducted/heated underbelly, heated basement, and heated storage tanks. I know I need to protect my water hose (if the resort has their city water turned on). I will turn on my tank heaters and plan to run my furnace while driving if I we encounter sub freezing temps during our drive. I will only plan on placing my sewer hose out when dumping and return to heated basement after use.

Can anyone who's been camping in sub freezing temperatures provide me with any advice? I'm trying to avoid common rookie mistakes encountered while camping in very cold weather.

Thank you in advance.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I know I need to protect my water hose..."

Why not fill your tank, use the water pump, put the hose away and not have the issue?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dont underestimate the fuel needed to stay warm or the electricity

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are pretty demanding temps even for a sticks and bricks house. I am not sure I would risk un-winterizing my plumbing at all if temps would be consistently below 0. Sure you have heated tanks but how much LP? Trying to run your heat in those temps for extended periods of time will burn through a lot of LP. Not sure what FW you have but even with ducted air to the plumbing and tanks, there is still a lot of risk in a length of plumbing or a pump or trap to freeze. If I am staying in below freezing temps, I will winterize, take bottled water and use CG facilities for showers. I wouldn't risk it, but that's me. Most production RV's aren't built to withstand sub zero temps for very long. At or below freezing maybe, but you are talking 20-30 degrees below freezing.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider taking one extra cylinder of propane. When you get back from skiing and the indicator just then says you are on the reserve at 6pm and the propane supply is closed for the day can make for a worrisome evening. Don't ask how I know.

I would stow the fresh water hose overnight. Just bring it out to fill the fresh holding tank.

If chains are appropriate consider at least one set of those flimsy cable chains for the trailer.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in cold weather, but I winterize the camper and buy windshield washer fluid to flush the toilet. We bring bottled water to drink and make coffee. I have fixed broken plumbing in a camper before and getting to some of the fittings is a pain. So we don't take any chances.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Days wrote:

We camp in cold weather, but I winterize the camper and buy windshield washer fluid to flush the toilet. We bring bottled water to drink and make coffee. I have fixed broken plumbing in a camper before and getting to some of the fittings is a pain. So we don't take any chances.

Not to mention the damage water can do in the sub floor, walls, etc.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to sleep in the back of my truck in Colorado at ski areas when it was well below zero. The first thing you need are some good down sleeping bags.
You can run some heat if you have power, but try for a temp like 50.
The simplest way to run the plumbing is to winterize it and work around it, but some people like to use everything no matter what. Get some heat tape, seal up under your rig,

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get one of those huge 500 gallon propane tanks, you'll need every bit of it.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You want advise about camping in a trailer in sub-freezing weather? Rent a room. It'll be cheaper than fixing all the stuff that'll freeze on that trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.