|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20*-30* below is bit Extreme but you didn't mention for how long.

Wife and I have camped below freezing in our 4 season trailer without issue but Propane consumption was unbelievable but needed to heat the underbelly.

If it was my trailer in those temps, I'd do it with provisions.
Sleep in it and use the toilet only and flush with bottled water.
Black tank will not freeze and burst unless full.

Leave the plumbing winterized and enjoy.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some good video's on youtube about low temperatures in an RV. One thing to not forget is your fridge. If it is propane, I think the refrigerant can gel or something? Can't quite remember all the details.

You did not say if you have power? Even so, using your furnace all day and all night, you will need a lot of propane. Do they have a supply at the mountain or do you have to drive somewhere to get more?

I have thought about using mine as we have a great mountain with power hookups, no water, but in the end decided it is too much work. Mine is not a 4 season, so no heated tanks, underbelly, etc. If it had those features, I would figure out what was needed to do it. We see RV's at the slopes all the time.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clintbrooks1767 wrote:

I've been skiing in NM for almost 20 years and the temperature routinely can get to 20 or 30 degrees BELOW freezing..
I did some research and yes, it can approach zero degrees. But the way you worded it it may be mistaken for "below zero." That's way too cold to be in an RV.

5-10 degrees will not be pleasant. Like your a/c trying to keep you cool when it's really hot, your heater will likely be running 24/7, and you will need LOTS of propane.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

You want advise about camping in a trailer in sub-freezing weather? Rent a room. It'll be cheaper than fixing all the stuff that'll freeze on that trailer.

That's good advice.

clintbrooks1767

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you guys for all the responses. Yes, it's a resort and they have full hook ups. I'm not sure if the water is turned on or not but just using my fresh water tank is a good idea. I believe this place has a propane filling station on site but I plan on calling ahead to check.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its 20below at night, its gonna be PLENTY cold during the day as well. I agree with forget the hose and use bottled water + CG facilities. And a skirt if you have one. (for the 5er, not for you [emoticon] )

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sheesh lots of naysayers and fraidy cats on here!

I would find someone local to you and work with them to outfit your trailer for very cold weather. Do NOT trust the manufacturer to have done anything to prep that trailer for what you're looking at.

My trailer has been modified and can camp during all four seasons, in Northern winter, not a chilly overnight in the South.

I wouldn't trust ducted heat. Use electric heating pads on tanks and electric heat tape on plumbing. Use the furnace too, keep it turned up. Extreme cold is not the place to cheap out and save energy.

100% agree with the previous recommendation for extra propane tank(s).

I setup my generator to run while driving to keep the electric heating systems active and avoid running the batteries down.

Don't expect to have any hook-ups at your campground. They may have a heated hose for you to fill with, I found finding open dump sites to be more problematic.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might have a heated basement, but chances are pretty good that your low point drains are out in the open, along with the outlet for your black/gray tanks?

That was the case for our 5th wheel, so when we had to camp in 5-degree temps as we headed home one year, we FULLY winterized the camper, used a portapotty (urine freezes at 28 degrees) and the drinking/cooking/toothbrushing water came from a jug - anything that would have gone into the gray tank was dumped into a dishpan

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it's below freezing outside, keep cabinet doors open inside under your sinks so they can also get heat.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Sheesh lots of naysayers and fraidy cats on here!

Have you camped in sub zero temperatures? The typical RV might do OK down to freezing but is just not likely to do well below zero. Even if the RV is set up to avoid frozen valves, pipes, and tanks, it will require LOTS of propane just to keep it useable. Condensation is likely to be another big issue. Water can condense on aluminum window frames and vent covers making them inoperable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.