|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

..It takes a pretty good RV to live comfortably in those temps. Ours was a 1990 Teton with a -20 or -30 F guarantee...... memtb

I suspect this is why we have so many differing opinions. I can say for sure that my RV was not designed to handle low temps. It does sort of OK down to a bit below freezing. Below that it will be drafty inside and the furnace will need to run frequently.

In cool damp weather frost on the exterior will show the RV construction. The walls are braced with 1x3 slats. Between the slats there is cheap 3/4" rigid foam.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

It takes a pretty good RV to live comfortably in those temps.
It does, and it's not just the temperature, it's the WIND! My rig, I found out the hard way, is really drafty, especially around the front door. Even the door latch leaks.

There's nothing quite as uncomfortable for me to be in the 20s with a nice 15-20mph wind trying to force its way inside. No thanks.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

memtb wrote:

It takes a pretty good RV to live comfortably in those temps.
It does, and it's not just the temperature, it's the WIND! My rig, I found out the hard way, is really drafty, especially around the front door. Even the door latch leaks.

There's nothing quite as uncomfortable for me to be in the 20s with a nice 15-20mph wind trying to force its way inside. No thanks.

We discovered the truth in that statement last November. We were in a campground (believe it or not), parked with the refrigerator side to the east. A winter storm came through, hard winds from the east, with morning temperatures @-10 F. This was the first experience of this nature in this new ( to us) camper! The wind was blowing into the camper around the refrigerator.....low 40’s in the camper. I think that the wind was coming through bad enough to blow out a candle if put close to the refrigerator. We ended-up completely blocking the refrigerator vent with a plastic garbage bag. This unit was supposed to be good (warranted) to a minus 20F ....but, that didn’t take into consideration a massive leak!

When we got home and the weather was a bit warmer, I found that the gap between the refrigerator and the space built for it had a gap of approximately 1 to 1 1/2” all the way around. Apparently, the previous owner had the refrigerator removed for repair and no insulation/wind block was put into the gap. This has since been remedied.....we’re looking forward to a test this winter! Though, we’re not looking forward to a “repeat performance” last November! memtb

* This post was edited 09/05/20 01:06pm by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

memtb wrote:

..It takes a pretty good RV to live comfortably in those temps. Ours was a 1990 Teton with a -20 or -30 F guarantee...... memtb

I suspect this is why we have so many differing opinions. I can say for sure that my RV was not designed to handle low temps. It does sort of OK down to a bit below freezing. Below that it will be drafty inside and the furnace will need to run frequently.

In cool damp weather frost on the exterior will show the RV construction. The walls are braced with 1x3 slats. Between the slats there is cheap 3/4" rigid foam.

Yep, the OP needs to get a higher end trailer built for cold weather camping, like Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV, made in Oregon.
Marketing BS like "Arctic Package" or "Thermal Package" are fancy terms for heated underbelly or holding tanks. They aren't going to make a 3 season RV into something for the temps the OP is talking about.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

I think that the wind was coming through bad enough to blow out a candle if put close to the refrigerator. We ended-up completely blocking the refrigerator vent with a plastic garbage bag.
Yikes.. and trying to do that when the wind is blowing?

Not cold, but the worst wind I've been in was Lake Mead. Strong enough to lift my big slide, breaking the top seal and letting all that wind and dirt in. It was not easy closing it. It got so bad I thought the whole rig was going over.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we ski up at Schwitzer in northern Idaho. The lower parking lot is usually filled with a dozen or so trailers/motorhomes. Temps get down around 0F at night, seldom above freezing in the daytime. There are NO hookups at any kind in the parking lots, just dry camping. We often are there for a week or more, and the trailers seem to stay quite a while, often as long as we are their.

Based on my experience camping near freezing or below which we have done:
1) expect to use lots of propane
2) bring plenty of gas for the generator to power stuff in the trailer in case you can't hook to electric
3) make sure you can duct some hot air into the underbelly to keep tanks from freezing.
4) If you don't have thermopane windows, get some of the heat shrink film that adheres to the windows to make them somewhat thermopane. You WILL be adding lots of moisture into the trailer with the ski clothing etc. no matter how carefull you are.
5) if you have electric hookup, get a portable dehumidifier and run it to keep the humidity down with all the extra water you'll likely be dragging into the trailer.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you're going for the skiing, not the camping, yes? You have temperature history at this location, but you previously stayed indoors instead of camping, yes?

As stated in previous posts, at the very least you'll go through lots of propane to keep everything warm. At worst something fails and you have freeze ups.

We winter camp all season in Michigan (U.P. and L.P.), but we always winterize. Too many possible points that can still freeze, and equipment seems to fail easier in cold weather. Insulated H20 container, portapotti arrangements, and warm sleeping bags let you concentrate on your outdoor winter entertainment and worry less about your equipment.

Have a good trip. Hope all goes well with you.

2001 RoadTrek 190

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have this heater from my airplane days. Worked nicely for pre-heating the cabin in my unheated T-hangar. My new Chaparral 5’er sports a “heated”, enclosed underbelly. In fact, the basement area containing lotsa plumbing and the hot water heater includes the furnace and ducting. The area is open, over the top, to the pass through basement storage where there is a 110-v plug. I’m thinking of using this heater, with plenty of space around it, any time the camper is plugged into shore power or generator this winter. Might be a way to safely supplement the heat in the basement.

Hornet 45
$289

General Aviation aircraft cockpit heater
On at 55F off at 65F
Certified for use in areas where known combustibles
may be present
Extremely safe HALT Technology
High Airflow Low Temperature
Patented Stainless Steel heating modules can not overheat
5" x 5.25" x 3.625" housing
120 volts standard (220/240V AC available)
700 watts
40' Premium extreme weather cord rated at -40° C
Carrying bag included

Model H7MIJ1-700

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been down to -10F in my Summer trailer. A few issues but it was mostly fine. Then like memtb improvements are made and out you go again. That is part of the fun for some of us.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess he has his answer. I do not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.