|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clint has left the building...

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8400' elevation, middle of winter = no RV resorts.

Kinda funny actually. I know people around here take their campers up to the "warm" ski areas we have and ski/camp. And there's always a few hippies staying in vans at most any ski hill, but taking your 5ver to Angel Fire in the middle of winter is like lunching yourself in the nuts and expecting it to not hurt.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

clintbrooks1767

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still here. Thank you for all the information. I've just been at work so I haven't been able to post as often as I'd like. I'm going to reach out to a couple of you if you don't mind. After reading all the posts we're definitely going to do the trip. We ain't scared! All this information will help immensely. Thank you!!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No campground is going to have water turned on in those temps. I would suggest bottles of water for drinking and using campground facilities for everything else. I've camped in the teens before, we just didn't use our water system.

You will burn through a lot of propane... a LOT of propane in those temps. I would suggest a good efficient electric heater and heated sheets/blanket for sleeping. It won't be super comfortable, but you should be able to get by for a couple day ski trip.

Enjoy!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

No campground is going to have water turned on in those temps. I would suggest bottles of water for drinking and using campground facilities for everything else. I've camped in the teens before, we just didn't use our water system.

You will burn through a lot of propane... a LOT of propane in those temps. I would suggest a good efficient electric heater and heated sheets/blanket for sleeping. It won't be super comfortable, but you should be able to get by for a couple day ski trip.

Enjoy!

soon059, I guess that depends upon the campground.....I can think of several. They were designed for use in sub-zero temperatures. A couple were built as RV campgrounds, and at least one a mobile home park converted to an RV park! We have many campgrounds in our region, where people live in their RV’s all winter.....some for pleasure and some working construction or in the oil patch! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping in sub freezing weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.