|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lithium Batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just downsized from a Class A DP to a Class B+. I got the residential fridge in the new motorhome so power when off the grid is going to be more of an issue that it was before. I’ve been looking at Lithium batteries and they look like a good solution for me. Only problem I see is physical size. The two current batteries I have are 11.5 inches long and they are a tight fit in the battery compartment. All the lithium batteries I’ve seen are at least 12.5” or longer. So they won’t fit in the existing battery compartment without modifications. But those are all 100AH batteries. I see they also have 200AH lithium batteries. They are a lot longer, over 20 inches, but one of those batteries will fit in the compartment versus two 200AH batteries. So not only does the 200AH battery have a smaller footprint than two 100AH batteries, they are also quite a bit cheaper than buying two 100Ah batteries.

Anybody see any issues in going with one 200ah battery versus two 100ah batteries?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue IMO isn’t the type of battery but the recharging of whatever batteries you get. With an adequate solar system recharging most days isn’t an issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only reason to go 200 would be the 300 does not fit. I believe it is best to have a single unit when possible with lithium. Although if you have a large inverter you may need multiple to have sufficient continuous amp rating.

Foe dimensions: (shop around)
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/pro........teries/12v-300ah-lithium-ion-battery.php

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Msmith 1199, Sounds good to me ..... don't forget to address the battery charger situation if needs be....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Msmith 1199, Sounds good to me ..... don't forget to address the battery charger situation if needs be....

I haven’t figured out which converter I have yet. I went to the motorhome today and looked for it and couldn’t find it. Apparently it’s under the bed. So I’ll go back tomorrow and look there and get the specs off it and see if it will work with a big lithium battery.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Only reason to go 200 would be the 300 does not fit. I believe it is best to have a single unit when possible with lithium. Although if you have a large inverter you may need multiple to have sufficient continuous amp rating.

Foe dimensions: (shop around)
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/pro........teries/12v-300ah-lithium-ion-battery.php

Based on the dimensions, I think that would fit, but I don’t want to spend three grand on a battery. The 200ah are in the 12 to 1400 range. I think that will do what I need. I just need to something to keep the fridge running for the day if we’re away from the motorhome. If I’m there I can run the generator.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are up grading the batteries you should think about installing 400 watts of solar.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider SiO2 chemistry--1/2 the price. I'm not sure of the dimensions.

https://azimuthsolarproducts.com/product-category/batteries/ull/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say residential style fridge, are you saying you have a compressor-type fridge or a true residential fridge? They both use a compressor but that's where the similarities end. Our Winnebago Navion came with a compressor-style fridge and 200 watts of solar from factory and we haven't had any problems overnighting without power or having to run the genny.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beats me. I’m not a refrigeration guy either. It’s a whirlpool electric fridge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lithium Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.