|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Turning pivot points for 40’ RV class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will jump on this band wagon and agree with all others, practice, practice, practice. Its the best tool. I think Mommalu hit it on the head!

I find with my tow dolly ( i am sure 4 down will be the same) you need more turning room so you do not run over the curb. Its in the mirrors, they tell the story. I learned alot about turning watching how truck drivers handle the turns, bus drivers are another one to watch.

Good Luck and enjoy

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haste maker wrote:

I know I will be put down for saying this...but I am going to say it anyway...I feel that anyone that drives a class A should have at least a class B CDL...this would insure the driver that they know what they are doing & make them more confident about driving something new to them...OK time put me down for me thoughts.

And not just handling of the vehicle. Get the CDL study materials. Learn to do the inspection

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seat time is invaluable. That said, turning safely is paramount but knowing your air system is right up there with it. Know how to bleed the air tanks, know how your air brakes work etc. Here in America, we are lacking in teaching what we should know before getting behind the wheel....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently taught our daughter how to drive their 42’ DP in two, 2 hour sessions. Started in a large empty parking lot next to a straight line. Put piece of black tape on bottom of the windshield for the edge of the road...helps in construction zones. Adjusted R convex mirror down so you can see the white edge strip and any cars in the blind spot. Sitting in front of the steer tires requires waiting longer to start your turns, even hanging the front out over the grass. Spent most of the first lesson maneuvering around small cones I put out duplicating various types of turns.

Final test was 10 miles on a narrow, curvy undulating road which was as bad as anything you’ll find...she did great. 4 days later we left for a month out West in 2 DPs pulling toads...did the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days. When asked why the 1500 miles in 2 days? She said she was afraid I’d go off and leave her. She did the 2200 miles home on her own. I dinged a bay door, she did not.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pivot point is at the back wheel on the inside of the turn.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Practice and just do it. Trying to put markers on windshields and such is going to get you on trouble if you rely on this kind of thing. All corners are not 90 degrees, some are greater and some are less.
Ramps on and off 4 lane limited access roads are good places to practice this. Exit right, turn left and the turn left again heading the other direction.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Turning pivot points for 40’ RV class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.