RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 253Air in April. For Father's day my daughter got me a Good Sam membership with roadside assistance, thank God!

I have used the TT once a month since May. Have had 3 tires blow out, 2 just this weekend, Labor Day weekend. It has been 3 different tires, different positions on the TT. The TT has double axles. Labor Day weekend had one blow out on my way to my destination, then another one on the way home on Monday. The tires on the TT when I bought it are Towmax 205/75R14's. The TT is not overloaded as I only use it for weekends so just the minimum stuff needed. The guy that came to change it on Friday said I need to get either D or E load rated tires. Currently they are C rated. He said they are just to light of a tire for a TT. Saturday I got another tire however couldn't find a D or E rated one any where. So ended up with another C rated just so I would have something for a spare. Was told by several tire places that to get the D or E rated they would have to be ordered. So before my next trip going to be ordering 5 D or E rated tires and put them on. Hopefully this will solve the issue. If not don't know what else to do.

Has anyone else had this frequent of blow outs or is it just my luck?

BTW, I can't say enough good about the roadside assistance. After you call they get ahold of someone that's closest to your location. Whoever they get ahold of then send you a text message with approximate arrival time. Friday night they said within an hour, actually got there within 45 minutes. Monday they said within 35 minutes and got there within 15 minutes. So way to go!!!

One strange thing is that all 3 blow out have happened on the same Hwy within about 10 miles of the same spot. No work is being done to the road and didn't run over anything. Guess I should go a different route next time.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why they are known as China bombs. You can also consider light truck tires. Whatever inflate to max when cold. If you go with trailer tires go to E rated.

haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know someone will disagree with me BUT I had the same problem with my TT until I placed the trailer tires with light duty pickup truck tires..I did have to change the rims from 15" to 16" but it was worth it.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

264SRinPA

northeast Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had a blowout in 15 years. Do you check your air pressure before every trip? You might want to invest in a tire pressure monitoring system.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you had the tires ballanced, many people dont balance trailer tires and thats a mistake, I had some blow outs and unusal tire wear on a trailer so I had a tire shop balance the tires on the rim and found 2 rims out of round real bad, replaced those 2 rims and all 4 tires balanced and my problems went away..

[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad tires are not just from China...but “China bombs” is cute to say.

Yes, I moved from Load Range C to D and haven’t had any issue since. Is your TT level driving down the road? Are you driving 60 mph or so? Are you positive you didn’t hit a road hazard? You check tire pressure before departure every driving day? My tires were made in China.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my first RV so still learning everything. I have not had the tires balanced. One tire dealer did suggest going to 15" tires, he said those are much easier to find in D or E rated. But then I would have to get all new rims as well.

I did not check the tire pressure before I left for this last trip this weekend. Guess that's another check list item before getting on the road.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

264sr you either don't tow much or have been very lucky. Our tire problems have been: the MH picked up a bolt the size of my thumb on the driver side rear inner tire, Our first Airstream had rapid failure which could be called a blow out, the teardrop picked up a piece of steel, the 5th wheel had a sidewall may pop. In half of the cases it was the tires fault, in the other half it is our wonderful roads. We try to run the best available tires and check them daily. If I were the OP I would use light truck tires.

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fast were you driving. Most ST trailer tires are rated at 65 mph.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is going to be the difference between a D or E rated or light truck tire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.