RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to get rid of soap streaks after washing a TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to get rid of soap streaks after washing a TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bacabunch

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I wash my Springdale aluminum side TT I get these streak Mark's that look like hard water streaks? I use a turtle wax car wash that cleans well but still leaves streaks. Is there any other soap or a way to get rid of the streaks?

Thanks,
Ben

"White Knuckles" Ben ">
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben">Marisela">Natalie">Maria">Emily">Matthew">Abby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie)"> Gracie(Shih Tzu) "> Daisy (Yorkie)

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

black streak remove in the RV section at walmart. I also use Zeps orange clean on pretty much everything in my garage. Usually spray some orange cleaner on troubled areas before i scrub with the wash brush. Usually works pretty well.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rinse the soap off before it dries.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wash it in sections and then rinse. Do this in the shade and dry it immediately,

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have streaks from soap, they you are waiting to long to rinse. Wash in sections ad rinse thoroughly. The old rubber roofs were usually the reason for white streaks.
If it is white water stains from hard water, then an acid rinse. Mix vinegar with water and do a test area to see if that will remove it. Blue Beacon does a mild acid rinse but it will take all the wax from the side. I don't use them anymore for obvious reasons.
A complete and thorough wax job is expensive but that will likely solve your white streak problems

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rinse with plain water immediately and then switch to DI water for a quick final rinse. Example

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never wash in full sun especially when hot. Given the size of RVs two people work better, as getting it washed and rinsed and dried more quickly will help prevent spots and streaks.
The car washes that say spot free or reduced spotting work best. After washing top, wash and rinse and dry one side then do the other side, then the ends.
We use towels on long squeegie to dry. Wash early in the morning is the best, or late afternoon. Filter your rinse hose and the water you wash with. In decateu, Indiana the water is so bad the People that wash coaches for hire bring their own large supply of good water. The water there is s bad it looks like you sprayed salt on it anywhere the water settles. A filter may not get such bad mineralization. Dish water softener mixed in a bucket of water and wiping down the sides of splashed on it will eliminate streaks and spots.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Wash it in sections and then rinse. Do this in the shade and dry it immediately,

This will give best results, and in my experience, some car wash soaps work better than others.

Jerry

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the age of your trailer, what you may be seeing are oxidized particles that are coming off the roof/sides and not being rinsed off fully (before they dry) rather than soap. Unfortunately as RV's age, the exterior surfaces degrade due to UV light and they require more polishing, waxing, (elbow grease) to come clean.

Chum lee

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

black streak remove in the RV section at walmart. I also use Zeps orange clean on pretty much everything in my garage. Usually spray some orange cleaner on troubled areas before i scrub with the wash brush. Usually works pretty well.

Heavens, no.
Trying to keep a finish on the camper here, not take it off.

Wash in the shade, don't let the sun bake the soap or water spots on it.
No different than washing your car.
Leaf blower makes a good dryer too, for water spots.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 10:01pm by an administrator/moderator *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to get rid of soap streaks after washing a TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.