|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrading to a better phone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a Samsung s6 active and am thinking about upgrading to a better phone. Like the Android OS and Samsung seems quality. Don't need the latest and greatest. Can't afford it for one reason.
Looking to buy a pre-owned/reconditioned one. Don't want to spend more than a couple hundred at the TOPS!
Insight to me: my phone plan is 100 minutes, 500mg data & 100 texts at a whopping $5.00 a month. So you can see I don't need nor want all the gizmos, add-ons or a ton of memory. Take some photos. Mainly talk a little, text more than I'd like, always adding time, and rarely check email.
Looking for something good & reasonable.

thanks

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked on ebay?
Go to your providers website to see what some of their phones are. Then go to ebay for your provider and see what is there in manufacture's reconditioned.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a new, cheap LG phone from Amazon ($100). No way was I getting stuck in a contract or paying $500+ for a phone. They have many, many options.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Galaxy line is up to S-20 (with 5G technology)

You mentioned liking the Android line (Same here) I can not believe all the folks in another place I frequent with all the I-phone problems.. NOT one Android user has those problems. NOT ONE. (hotspot issues)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought this one a few months ago - Like it a lot, you can also go to phone store and get a discount sometimes, and they will hook you up. We have two lines, and T-mobile unlimited text, phone, and hotspot for $69 if you are a senior. Other plans available - and no contract.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A03129653T7VQKWTL2REF&url=%2FSamsung-Galaxy-Version-Unlocked-Tempered%2Fdp%2FB08GP9V7M1%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3Fdchild%3D1%26keywords%3DSamsung%2BA20%26qid%3D1599686397%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1599686396&id=7401714293430947&widgetName=sp_atf

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

I currently have a Samsung s6 active and am thinking about upgrading to a better phone. Like the Android OS and Samsung seems quality. Don't need the latest and greatest. Can't afford it for one reason.
Looking to buy a pre-owned/reconditioned one. Don't want to spend more than a couple hundred at the TOPS!
Insight to me: my phone plan is 100 minutes, 500mg data & 100 texts at a whopping $5.00 a month. So you can see I don't need nor want all the gizmos, add-ons or a ton of memory. Take some photos. Mainly talk a little, text more than I'd like, always adding time, and rarely check email.
Looking for something good & reasonable.

thanks
We have the Samsun S7 and are just curious why you are unhappy with the S6.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

I currently have a Samsung s6 active and am thinking about upgrading to a better phone. Like the Android OS and Samsung seems quality.

You already have an Android OS phone.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used Ting for our cell phone service for almost 5 years. You only pay for what you use and they do sell phones, including cheap ones.
Our bill for 2 smartphones is usually about $33/month total. Our daughter's is usually about $17/month.

https://ting.com/rates
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things outside of outright processor or battery failure kill cellphones. 1. No more manufacturer support, 2. The endless operating system updates that eventually fill the onboard storage, and those updates don't get loaded on removable storage like a Micro SD card.

Consider A Samsung or Motorola Droid that's only a version or 2 old. Also know that most newer cell phones no longer have removable batteries.

Wouldn't worry about 5G, more money than you want to spend and the service is nowhere near widespread nationwide yet.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I think the Galaxy line is up to S-20 (with 5G technology)

You mentioned liking the Android line (Same here) I can not believe all the folks in another place I frequent with all the I-phone problems.. NOT one Android user has those problems. NOT ONE. (hotspot issues)

There are different levels of Galaxy phones too. I have a Samsung Galaxy A51 that cost less than half what the S models cost

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrading to a better phone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.