|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrading to a better phone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fwiw
I would never buy used phone unless you can replace the battery.
Not sure if any like that exists nowadays
Plenty of cheap new phones available

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp I have had Samsung phones but have moved on to less expensive and better phones for my need. Lessons I have learned:

• Don't buy a phone from your carrier
  • Buy an unlocked phone
  • First unlocked phone I bought was a Motorola Moto phone that was cheap and very functional
  • I moved up to Google pixel phones that are more expensive but still you can get really good buys if you buy one that has just been superseded by their latest model.

The problem with Samsung phones for me is that since I am a Google app user on all my devices (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, etc.) I don't need or want all the Samsung stuff that they put on their phones but they cannot be deleted.

Here is an example of an inexpensive Motorola Moto phone that would easily meet your needs: Motorola Moto g phone

My wife who is technically illiterate first inherited my Moto phone and then later a Pixel phone and she loved them both after moving from a Samsung phone.

Carriers will provide a sim card to connect any customer's unlocked phone to their network.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Getting ready to head north to the UP for a couple of weeks. Will start again looking when we return. Appreciate all the thoughts.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

gvisnic

Littleton Co

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We needed to replace a battery in our s7 phone. Cost was $75, done in an hr

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from Samsung 8 to iPhone 11 and HATE IT. The apple koolaid is poison. Don't do it. Loved my 8, had a broken screen (user fault), and a literally failing battery (age issue). Should have stayed with samsung, or repaired the prior unit.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a Samsung Galaxy Note IV to an iPhone XR. I was very worried about the change. But honestly the experience with the iPhone has been so much better. I don't have the phone dying all the time. Gone are the software hangups and crashes. I don't even remember the last time I had a frozen screen that required a phone reboot - an all too common occurrence with the iPhone.

But the NUMBER 1 best thing about the iPhone is the Lightning jack port. I HATED teh stupid mini-HDMI of the Samsung. The stupid mini-HDMI connector would get loose and lose communication/charging ability after a few months. I went through so many new mini-HDMI cords. With the Lightning jack of the iPhone, I get a solid connection EVERY single time. I bought one 10 foot cable for the iPhone when I first got it, and the connection is still like NEW.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrading to a better phone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.