|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Total outdoor flame device ban Oregon SP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Ktmrfs, looking at my weather app, wind shift should be coming Thursday evening here in the Columbia Gorge. I hope that brings relief in the city, but also blow the fires back on to burnt fuel to help firefighters to get a handle on things.
We have lost part of Collier Memorial SP, while word has it that the Logging Museum was saved, one campground burned. It is unknown the condition of Detroit Lake, seeing the loss of entire towns on Hwy 22 it may also be damaged.
Stay safe!

Glad to here they saved the logging Museum. We've spent hours there looking through all the equipment on display. Campgrounds can be rebuilt.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of the fires in Or were caused by BBQ's they just banned?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

PaisleyDale

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know of any fires started by a BBQ, but I do know that we have had lots in our area that have been started from camp fires and some may be from an arsonist? These are under investigation.

Several are from a wind storm that toppled power poles, burning homes and businesses. Loss of live from these fires also.

Where I live we have a fire that started (under investigation) Sep 7th at 10:30pm is now around 5000 acres and 6 miles from town. Have only had very limited resources due to the Oregon fires burning homes but today we are finally getting some help.

2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
1998 Honda CR-V toad

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. 1 Son runs a hotshot crew, based up here in AK, but currently deployed to Colorado. They are anticipating only statutorily-mandated breaks for the next 45 days (one of which ends Monday, 14-Sep) and anticipate an assignment to Oregon. It's pretty ugly in the West.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man I feel sorry for all of y’all in that area. Hurricanes are bad enough but they blow through in a few hours.
I pray y’all can stay safe and your property is spared.

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are just coming back from the Oregon coast and it is more than terrible there with all the smoke, fires, and road closures. The air is so dense with smoke you can't breathe and many of the older campers have left early due to that. At noon a couple of days ago at Seal Rock, the sky went totally crimson red, smoke filled the air, and all the lights in the park came on. It was light midnight there all afternoon. We made it to northern Cal today and it is filled with smoke. Hopefully we can head south and get to some cleaner air around Sacramento. Two weeks ago we were in Denver with temps in the 90's and this week it snowed.
It has been a very bizarre vacation for sure this year.
Best to all!
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

with the winds we've had even a BBQ could easily start a fire either from coal sparks or the wind tipping over a BBQ, a lamp, anything with a flame. IMHO banning any flame source and prohibiting forest use is a very prudent thing to do under these fire conditions.

and by banning any open flame it minimizes the likelyhood of yet another fire to fight when there aren't even enough resources to tackle the fires that are burning.

There around 4 million acres burned. The Big burn in 1910 was 3 million.

Air quality in our area is now around 350+, dangerous. sun is not visible, smoke and ash in the air.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I assume that with the firefighting resources stretched so thin, they don't want to take any chances that a simple campfire or BBQ gets out of hand and requires those resources to be stretched even thinner.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well according to the article the OP was incorrect. Propane BBQ's are allowed. So it looks like I can still cook my steak on my BBQ!

Quote:

Campfire Restrictions
Extreme fire danger has prompted a statewide campfire ban at all state parks, including campgrounds, day-use areas and beaches. The ban includes wood, charcoal briquettes, candles, tiki torches and other devices that emit flames or embers. Propane stoves and other cooking devices that have a shutoff valve are allowed for cooking only.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Well according to the article the OP was incorrect. Propane BBQ's are allowed. So it looks like I can still cook my steak on my BBQ!

Quote:

Campfire Restrictions
Extreme fire danger has prompted a statewide campfire ban at all state parks, including campgrounds, day-use areas and beaches. The ban includes wood, charcoal briquettes, candles, tiki torches and other devices that emit flames or embers. Propane stoves and other cooking devices that have a shutoff valve are allowed for cooking only.

Our son works for Oregon State Parks.

What the OP posted was correct on Sept 7 through last evening (10th)

the restrictions were changed late yesterday afternoon (Sept 10th) to allow cooking with propane if the device has an immediate shutoff valve. From the 7th till the 10th, even propane stoves were prohibited.

Now that winds have died down I can see allowing propane for cooking.

And the total prohibition is still in effect at many FS and county campgrounds.

That said, it's a moot point since many of the campgrounds are closed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Total outdoor flame device ban Oregon SP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.