|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Weighing at Cat Scales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Substantially cheaper re-weighs is a function of why truckers use their scales. They may need to redistribute the load to get all the axle groups within the legal limits (overload tickets start in the 4 figure range). So if they miss on the first pass, they go adjust the load and then re-weigh until they get within limits. CAT has a guarantee that they will assist in the court case if you get a ticket after using their services.

I think you have the order wrong. (I know you are wrong on the price of overload fines. I have paid more than a few in the '4 figure range, but most where a few hundred) The cheap re-weigh is a plus, and I have often used it. (Company rig, 1 load took 12 re-weighs the first time we moved 1 load) With my tractor and trailer I could tell within a 100 lbs what was on each pair of axles by looking at the pressure gauges on suspension. But 1 fight because of state scales off convinced me go across the Cat, or go around the state, if close.

Quote:

I suppose, if you drive a short wheel base SUV towing a 15ft travel trailer, you might run into spacing problems getting the load spread over 3 platforms laid out for commercial trucks but full size trucks towing 25ft+ trailers won't typically be an issue. Worst case pull over and look at the scale before using it if you aren't sure.

Short bed, reg cab pickup pulling a 12 ft pop-up, I had to stop as soon as steer was on front platform to keep trailer on the right one. One issue, if nobody uses the scale for a while it will shut off, and none of my axles where heavy enough to turn it on. Operator had me pull up so I had 2 on front, then back into position.
Most places that buy/sell bulk by truckload will have a scale. And most would be willing to "weigh" your RV. But if you watch them certified, there is a expectation the truck will be near center of scale when weighed. When you are checking axles, you are working at the end. I have pulled steer on, then tag, drives, trailer to get gross, then dropped axles off 1 at a time and the numbers always said different end to end. If stop with only front axle on, scale reads 19,500, pull whole rig on, get a gross of 130,000 then pull the front off scale reads 109,000 how much does the front axle weigh? Now a RV will never get into this kind of numbers, but if they don't match you can't know any more than just a guess.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Tells you what the weight distributing part of the hitch is doing.

Very useful if you are trying to dial in the correct tension on the bars. If the tension is too light, it may be distributing very little to the front axle and that would show up as a having almost the same front axle weight with and without the bars tensioned down.

The only numbers that making a pass with bars loose can let you calculate that you can't get from the other 2 passes is the TW when not hooked, and what percentages is transferred to steer and trailer. The only way to change the percentages steer/trailer is change wheelbase ratio. If you can't change it, do you need to know it?
Tongue weight needs to stay in the range when bars are in place. Add the weights marked as 'steer' and 'drive' when hooked up, compare to gross of TV alone, you have the weight of the trailer the TV is carrying, the definition of TW.
Old school thinking was when loading a truck you always wanted your steering to carry part of the load. Towing a TT behind a Vista Cruiser, always put enough tension on the bars to mash front down too. Sometime in the safety evolution of pickups that idea way lost. From what I read, nowadays they only want the spring bars to return the front back to what you have with MT truck.

Lots of folks tow without any idea of their weights. If that's the approach you want to follow and you are no where close to your ratings...go for it.

For an extra $2.50 if you are going thru the trouble, no reason not to get all the info in my opinion

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Weighing at Cat Scales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.