|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Shopping Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
carlislefamily2011

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Looking for opinions on the capability of our truck as far as towing a 5th wheel. I took a break from Rv shopping for a few months and am back at it again. We really want a 5th wheel with a mid bunk and found one that's 11,695 dry.

Here's the truck's specs:

2017 Ford Super Duty F250
XLT 4X4 CREW CAB
6.2L FI FFV V8
3.73 axle ratio
10,000 lb GVWR package
160” wheel base
Regular bed
Towing package
No other modifications.

Totally empty F250 a Cat scale shows front axle at 3,880 and rear axle at 2,760 for a curb weight of 6,640.
Door sticker says max front axle is 5,600 and rear axle max is 6,340.
Truck max payload per door sticker is 3,244.
Truck GVW per Ford is 10,000.
Truck GCW per Ford is 19,500.
Truck max loaded trailer weight per Ford is 12,500.

We camp during the summer and are not full timers but have been pulling trailers since 2011, so it's not totally new for us.
We never carry water and always have our tanks empty.
We typically have around 500lbs of stuff in our trailer (groceries, clothes, house items, etc.)
We will have a 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed that is about 200lbs (guessing).
We have about 540lbs in the truck cab (people, pets, misc.)

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you all have to offer. Thanks in advance.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a truck max payload of 3,244 I would look for a 5er with a dry pin weight no more than 2,500, preferably less. By the time you load it for travel even with no water, add the hitch in the truck, put other “stuff” in the bed, and people in the cab your will be at or above that number. Get a light weight hitch to save weigh. And balance your 500 lbs of stuff in the trailer front and back.

carlislefamily2011

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My payload calculation comes out to 3,159 (20% of loaded trailer, hitch equipment, people and stuff in cab) which is below my trucks max payload of 3,244.

The 11,695 loaded trailer has a 20% hitch weight of 2,419.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will the pin weight really be exactly 20%. We are around 11,500 loaded and our pin weight is a bit over 2700...which I think would put you over payload. If you are still buying, I would want to make a bit more of a conservative assumption rather than find out after buying, that it's actually 23% pin weight.

PS: You say you are experienced, so maybe it's true but 500lb of gear in big 5th wheel is unusually low. Are you sure it's really that little?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too suspect that 1K added to dry wt of FW would be closer to what I would call lightly loaded. You should have weighed your truck fully loaded, fuel, people, and gear, add 200 lbs for hitch. That would have given a more accurate rear axle wt, which is most important, due to almost all pin wt will go to that axle. The RAWR is the number that matters MOST. In your case 6340 RAWR minus your scaled wt of empty truck (which is not going to be empty when traveling) 2,760, would indicate you could add 3,580 more to the rear axle.

I tow my FW with a F250 6.2 3.73 with 6-speed. My FW GVWR is 12,110, and I do not load it that heavy. I lock out 6th, tow in 5th, works great. I would not be happy towing over 12K with my truck.

Your truck will work, but near it's limit, which can sometimes be unpleasant towing against the wind, and steep uphills, that will need high RPM.

Jerry

carlislefamily2011

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently own a 37ft pull behind trailer. The way I came up with the weight of the stuff in our trailer is that I weighed our current rig fully loaded on CAT scales as we were heading out to camp. Then did the math using our known curb weight of the F250 and the actual dry weight of our current trailer. This gave me the amount of stuff we carry. Hope this helps....thanks again for the opinions, really like this group.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the dry weight and base your weight decisions on the trailers GVWR and 20% of the GVWR of the trailer for the trailer pin weight. Look at your trucks payload sticker...the yellow sticker inside the drivers door. Take the estimated pin weight (not the lie in the brochure) plus the weight of the hitch, plus passengers, plus cargo. This total needs to be below the payload sticker weight of the truck.

Our pin weight is closer to 22% of the trailer GVWR. So typically they run 18% to 22% once loaded.

Ignore the truck brochure for MAXIMUM 5th wheel capacity. A 3/4 ton truck will reach the payload capacity, rear axle GAWR of the trucks GVWR long before you reach the max towing or GCWR.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Mr Carlisle

Could you give us the exact trailer you are buying? Just curious. Also what are your truck’s tire ratings? Weight distribution within the fifth wheel may be able to help the pin weight.

Also maybe, you could use the Anderson hitch and save some weight.

Robert Clark

United State

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

Hey Mr Carlisle

Could you give us the exact trailer you are buying? Just curious. Also what are your truck’s tire ratings? Weight distribution within the fifth wheel may be able to help the pin weight.

Also maybe, you could use the Anderson hitch and save some weight.

You can refer to Michelin tire. I bought it for my new F-150 and I was curious to see how they lasted. Granted I live in southern Calif so the only road condition to speak of heats. But, by the time I replace this set, they will be right at 58,000 miles and I could probably go another 5k but with winter approaching the tread is getting a bit shallow so playing it safe. I have never gotten more than 40k on car or truck in the past, so must admit I have been very impressed with these tires.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I too suspect that 1K added to dry wt of FW would be closer to what I would call lightly loaded. You should have weighed your truck fully loaded, fuel, people, and gear, add 200 lbs for hitch. That would have given a more accurate rear axle wt, which is most important, due to almost all pin wt will go to that axle. The RAWR is the number that matters MOST. In your case 6340 RAWR minus your scaled wt of empty truck (which is not going to be empty when traveling) 2,760, would indicate you could add 3,580 more to the rear axle.

I tow my FW with a F250 6.2 3.73 with 6-speed. My FW GVWR is 12,110, and I do not load it that heavy. I lock out 6th, tow in 5th, works great. I would not be happy towing over 12K with my truck.

Your truck will work, but near it's limit, which can sometimes be unpleasant towing against the wind, and steep uphills, that will need high RPM.

Jerry

I think MFL has it covered, with a gas engine you will likely exceed towing capacity before exceeding payload on the TV. You want either 3.73 or 4.10's as a rear gear.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Shopping Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.