|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> tire pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have run my trailers tires at max sidewall pressure for over 30 years with no blowouts or even a flat tire. If I were still towing today I would continue that practice. Most trailers are loading the tires to very near their maximum load and the tires need all the help they can get. I also upgraded my tires and rims from stock "C's" to "E's" as the tires wore or aged out.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich&Mar wrote:

do you run the max pressure in your tires as written on the sidewall? I have the Endurance, and it states 80# psi. Seems to me you need to take the outside temperature into consideration. I an reluctant to inflate to 80 psi and go on the road when it's 90% out. Then it becomes a guessing game, what psi at 90, at 75, at 45 degrees. 8200lb 5er. The sidewall does read, max pressure, so should you put less due to the temp? Or let the pressure go well over the 80 because of the heat?

Rich....best pressure for long service life/mileage for tires on a trailer depends on OEM axle capacity along with actual scaled axle weights.

However if no scaled axle weights then use the trailers OEM axle size numbers with maybe 10-15 percent max reserve capacity mostly to help eliminate side stress internal issues when tire on a multiaxle trailer side scrubs going around corners or tight backing maneuvers.
If the Endurance are the OEM size and load range then use max sidewall pressures.
If the trailer is over tired (D to E) then use Goodyears minimum tire pressure/load charts and add 10-15 psi to that number at a minimum.

I've found tires with lots of service life/old tires can rupture from over pressure vs a new tire. Tires like that has lots of bruises = weak spots....and lots of stories to tell.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DogTrainer

Tulsa, Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had the Goodyear Endurance installed 5 days ago. Goodyear recommended and told me to keep the tires AT 65lbs per tire unless I was at MAX LOAD.

Do not run tires at MAX LOAD unless at full weight capacity

2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DogTrainer wrote:

I just had the Goodyear Endurance installed 5 days ago. Goodyear recommended and told me to keep the tires AT 65lbs per tire unless I was at MAX LOAD.

Do not run tires at MAX LOAD unless at full weight capacity
Goodyear recommended it, or the guy at the tire shop?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I run max in my trailers and no problems at all w/ anything moving inside, ride is good and overall AOK. 1st 5er max was 80, and RV weighed 12,800 (out of 13,800 max weight). New RV, tires at 110, weight is 16,000 out of 16,000 (max weight). As we all know, all this weight isn't on the RV tires alone, but it's what it weighs when loaded up.

With my previous trucks (SRW) I ran max pressures and yes it made for a harsher ride w/o a doubt. Now w/ the DRW, I run PSI from door jam label and all seems to do well. Still can go up to 80 if need be, but don't need to. Fronts are 70, rears are 65. Makes sense to me.

IMO, better to air on side of caution. Semi tires are at 95 to 110 all the time.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

IMO, better to air on side of caution. Semi tires are at 95 to 110 all the time.
Intentional or unintentional pun? [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Know your ACTUAL tire weights!!! Then use the weight/inflation chart for your RV tires. Now add 5psi to what the chart says. Per GY Tech when upsizing load range or wanting the best possible ride, tire wear and stopping power.

Class Dismissed!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yea, AWESOME choice of RV tires!!!

DogTrainer

Tulsa, Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear recommended it. Corporate. I did not ask if he was a engineer and would love a tire engineer to weigh in. This is the manufacture recommendation.

Long story but when I blew a tire this year coming home from Branson I knew it was time to put a set of new tires on and get rid of original tires. I ordered new tires from tire rack, but after delays of a month and a half I called Goodyear direct and they laughed and said i could get a set installed the next day at a Goodyear dealer in Tulsa.

I canceled my order at Tire Rack and just went to a Goodyear dealer.

Not passing judgement but think that TR just wanted to sell cheaper tires...

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Intentional or unintentional pun? [emoticon]

My high school English teachers would probly kill me as I wasn't sure which "air" to use.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> tire pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.