RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Needing help, evacuated, battery dead

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

 > Needing help, evacuated, battery dead

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For now.

1. start the engine on the class B
2. wait 1/2 hour
3. attempt to start the generator
4. if it starts, add a battery charger to recharge the house battery bank when ever running the generator.

For the future

make sure the converter is working correctly.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/13/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also get a voltmeter so you can monitor the situation better.
We can help more if we had some battery voltage data.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Woodsie8*

pnw

New Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx everyone! As soon as I can my hands on a volt meter, I will problem solve more. I am rethinking a lot, for future events. Maybe get a second battery, or add at least one solar panel, not ask as much from the house battery, get a portable battery booster/charger. Maybe get a second generator for the house but that seems unneeded.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not need a second generator.

Where or how would you hook this second generator up? However you are envisioning hooking up the second generator will be the same for the existing generator.


Number one, turn off the generator, find the circuit breakers in the house and find the one that is tripped and not charging the battery. If you can't find the specific charger circuit breaker then turn them all off.

Now push extra hard on any breakers that seem to be springy or have any sponginess until it snaps all the way off. Now turn all the breakers back on.

Once the breakers are all back on, turn on a light or two and maybe turn on a ventilation fan as well. Now start the generator and see if the fan speeds up and the lights get brighter. If the fan speeds up and the lights get brighter you have probably fixed the house battery charging.

If you still can't get the house battery charging, then buy one of these Link, and plug it into the trailer or directly into your generator. Then plug the trailer shore power cord into the end. This will charge your house battery until you can get a multimeter.


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/13/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your were evacuated I am not sure why you are at home trying to run a bunch of freezers.
I would be tempted to just leave.

Woodsie8*

pnw

New Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

You do not need a second generator.

Where or how would you hook this second generator up? However you are envisioning hooking up the second generator will be the same for the existing generator.


Number one, turn off the generator, find the circuit breakers in the house and find the one that is tripped and not charging the battery. If you can't find the specific charger circuit breaker then turn them all off.

Now push extra hard on any breakers that seem to be springy or have any sponginess until it snaps all the way off. Now turn all the breakers back on.

Once the breakers are all back on, turn on a light or two and maybe turn on a ventilation fan as well. Now start the generator and see if the fan speeds up and the lights get brighter. If the fan speeds up and the lights get brighter you have probably fixed the house battery charging.

If you still can't get the house battery charging, then buy one of these Link, and plug it into the trailer or directly into your generator. Then plug the trailer shore power cord into the end. This will charge your house battery until you can get a multimeter.


Second generator was going to be for home, to handle freezer/frig in outage in future instead of using RV generator to keep them running.
Thanks for the steps! I will try that.

Woodsie8*

pnw

New Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If your were evacuated I am not sure why you are at home trying to run a bunch of freezers.
I would be tempted to just leave.



We went between be ready, get ready and leave. While I was in the RV waiting to be evacuated, I plugged them into RV, then killed battery. Once evacuated, they were not hooked to RV but still frozen but after that, no power @ home, no battery on RV. Was just trying to figure out for future what I can do for extended periods of outages. Hook to RV with RV generator going, , buy another house generator, solar, etc.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/13/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about put them on a small utility trailer(uhaul?), connect to the van, and just go. Plug them all in at a comfortable RV park until you get word the power is back on.

Woodsie8*

pnw

New Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

How about put them on a small utility trailer(uhaul?), connect to the van, and just go. Plug them all in at a comfortable RV park until you get word the power is back on.


I am not that vested in saving the food [emoticon]
I think I am more trying to figure out for extended outages in the future. Hoping not to get evacuated again!

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/13/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need a roof? Tesla solar roof plus a few power wall batteries. Works for you even when the power is on. big $$$ up front.

Otherwise maybe a home generator and 500 gallon propane tank.

Or get the RV systems working. Consider adding a home transfer switch and power inlet to make living without power plug and play.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

 > Needing help, evacuated, battery dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.