RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cleaning the carpet?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cleaning the carpet?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Brookstone has vinyl plank flooring but the slide-outs & bedroom are carpeted. Without renting a carpet cleaner, what is the best way to clean the carpet?

* This post was edited 09/13/20 09:07am by riltri *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not what you want to hear but, we hire Stanley Steemer for our home and RV.
We've found them to be the best carpet cleaners. Watch for their specials. YMMV

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stanley Steemer or rent a Rug Doctor cleaning machine.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our RV has over 110,000 miles on it and has been to Alaska 5 times and the southwest 7 times. Those trips to Alaska were to Valdez where we fished in the rain more than 50% of the time. That said, our light colored carpet on the slides, under the table and especially in front of the refrigerator gets very dirty. We use the carpet cleaner RESOLVE. Brush it in with a stiff brush, let it dry, and vacuum it up. The dirt and spots come up with it. OUR CARPET, in all areas, LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW.

One caution, the dry RESOLVE powder clogs vacuum bags easily because it's so fine, and then they blow out, so check them often and replace after carpet cleaning. We use a Dyson... No bags.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Pigman regarding the Resolve and also the Dyson. I had to take our Dyson completely apart and clean it with soap and water and then blow with air compressor to get all the powder out. The carpet did come out very clean however. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a Bissell. It only takes 2-3 times renting to pay for one you can own. I use mine to clean mt RV carpet. I even make my own shampoo.

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

Our RV has over 110,000 miles on it and has been to Alaska 5 times and the southwest 7 times. Those trips to Alaska were to Valdez where we fished in the rain more than 50% of the time. That said, our light colored carpet on the slides, under the table and especially in front of the refrigerator gets very dirty. We use the carpet cleaner RESOLVE. Brush it in with a stiff brush, let it dry, and vacuum it up. The dirt and spots come up with it. OUR CARPET, in all areas, LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW.

One caution, the dry RESOLVE powder clogs vacuum bags easily because it's so fine, and then they blow out, so check them often and replace after carpet cleaning. We use a Dyson... No bags.

What do you think RESOLVE powder would do to a wet/dry ShopVac that uses a bag filter?

Gearitis

Waco TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually rent a Big Green Machine with upholstery atachments and pick up ZEP Commercial Carpet Cleaner at Home Depot. Also use ZEP Carpet spot remover prior to the carpet cleaning on those tough spots We get in the corners and hard to get spaces with the upholstery attachment and get the big areas with the machine. We then use it on the truck and any other vehicle upholstrey as well as the sticks and brick if we are there. One Day rental is 40 bucks and a gallon of Zep is 9 bucks which last forever! Spot remover about 8 bucks for a gallon and again last a long time. Been doing this for years from our Class A to TT now the 5er. It smells fresh and clean and the Big Green Machine is strong enough to pull out most sand and other garbage in the carpet. We had a small dog for years and it worked well.

2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than dumping the Dyson dirt chamber, we do NOT clean it in any other way. However, ours is a small rechargeable. I have not tried to use a wet/dry on the Resolve, but it's got a filter, albeit very large, so I'd think it would probably clog as well. Just a lot slower and perhaps the dust could be cleaned out by beating the ends of the filter on a hard surface. My wet/dry uses a canister filter, not bag.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only satisfactory cleaning I've ever got is from a commercial cleaner with a truck-mounted unit. Less than $100. Of course it's cheaper (and more work) to do yourself, but it won't get as clean, and those guys will do your furniture and throw rugs too.

Is that renting a carpet cleaner?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cleaning the carpet?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.