RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Great Smoky Mountains Bear FoundScavenging On Human Remains

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Great Smoky Mountains Bear FoundScavenging On Human Remains

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Bear was just scavenging. (Not yet proven via autopsy tho.) No danger beyond any normal bear. Sad that he had to die.
Knoxville news sites have a tad more info if anyone is inclined to look.

Well. Though I agree. Also sad the camper died.

But the Ranger logic on this is that once the bear gets a taste of Human flesh. that bear will want more... or so they fear. (I have heard this before and before you ask I do not know if it is true or hooey.. but there are people who claim to be experts who make this pronouncement and I have not the qualifications to argue with them. I very simply do not know).

I hope they find "Natural causes" (Other than bear) for cause of death of camper.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

GSMNP has the highest concentration of black bears in the country. A 16 year old Ohio boy was attacked in his hammock 2(?) years ago. While attacking humans is usually not that common it happens. They do not know how this man died as yet. Scavenging means the bear was eating the corpse. A few bears have to be put down every year because they get too comfortable with humans. They will stroll into Gatlinburg right down mains street in the day time and people get close for that great picture. NEVER approach a bear or an elk to try to get that great picture, just don't because you could end up forcing the park authorities to put the animal down. Just stop it.

The highest concentration of bears in the country is in SE Alaska, around one per square mile.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

But the Ranger logic on this is that once the bear gets a taste of Human flesh. that bear will want more... or so they fear. (I have heard this before and before you ask I do not know if it is true or hooey.. but there are people who claim to be experts who make this pronouncement and I have not the qualifications to argue with them. I very simply do not know).

From what I understand, all predators prefer to go after the easiest prey. Explains why wolves/bears/pumas who learn to go after livestock will continue to do it; an elk will put a beat-down on a wolf, but a sheep is easy pickings. A human is not a "natural" food - but your average un-armed hiker doesn't put up a very effective fight, sad to say. Once a predator figures that out, it's bad news for all involved.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All bears found eating human are killed. No questions asked. Doesnt matter if they did the kill or not.

Black bears are usually seen running away if seen at all. I have heard more bears than have seen bears. The sound is a fast running animal making a lot of stick breaking sounds. Black bears are not typically dangerous in the wild as they like to run away (they are dangerous if you get involved personally).

This is not something to get alarmed over.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"This is not something to get alarmed over."

... that's it in a nutshell

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Great Smoky Mountains Bear FoundScavenging On Human Remains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.