|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen and 6'4" Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at a Ram. Can anyone comment that has an Andersen hitch with the 6' box? What kind of clearance are you getting between the cab and tailgate. What's the orientation of the pin adapter?

Thanks

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 should be commenting shortly... He is an advocate for the Anderson and Ram..... He will be able to answer

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 should be commenting shortly... He is an advocate for the Anderson and Ram..... He will be able to answer

I can ,and I will. [emoticon]

A little more information would be helpful . I have towed two different fifth wheels with my rail mount Andersen. My previous Montana fifth wheel I had the hitch mounted with the ball furthest from the cab , also the adapter putting it furthest from the cab, no clearance problems with my 2014 Ram 3500 short bed. My present fifth wheel I have the hitch the same ,but the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab, still not an issue with clearance.

The clearance depends on a few things , where the pin box is mounted on the fifth wheel, some stick out further then others. How rounded the front cap on the fifth wheel is, giving additional clearance. . IMO the OP will not have any issues with clearance, especially with a newer fifth wheel ,and the hitch ,and adapter both in rear position to start.

I have yet to get into any situations where backing into a spot was a clearance issue. I was a little concerned this summer ,had to back into a pretty tight spot in an RV campground in Montana this summer. Not sure what degree of turning I did , but I would guess in the 65-70 degree range. Actually more then I want to, but it was on dirt, and gravel so not that big of stress on the fifth wheel suspension.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PM sent

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Secret Squirrel" [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

NOW your showing your age.... the LAST episode of the aired in 1966!

I actually think that I may still have a comic book with Secrete Squirrel ?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

He should be a good source of information, for what the OP is asking. I don't see a lot of options for the Ram axle center to cab, being a short distance. I don't know if this Ram has the puck system, or if rail system is being considered, but I do not think a single point attachment is the best option. IMO, Andersen with rails may work, a B&W Patriot with rails, adjusted to rear setting, may work. Using a standard hitch, with a sidewinder type pin box will work.

The OP is a pretty smart guy, and is asking lots of questions before taking a leap. Once he gathers good info from others, I think he will make the best choice available. Moving to a used diesel, I think his truck choice is a wise decision.

Jerry

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

He should be a good source of information, for what the OP is asking. I don't see a lot of options for the Ram axle center to cab, being a short distance. I don't know if this Ram has the puck system, or if rail system is being considered, but I do not think a single point attachment is the best option. IMO, Andersen with rails may work, a B&W Patriot with rails, adjusted to rear setting, may work. Using a standard hitch, with a sidewinder type pin box will work.

The OP is a pretty smart guy, and is asking lots of questions before taking a leap. Once he gathers good info from others, I think he will make the best choice available. Moving to a used diesel, I think his truck choice is a wise decision.

Jerry

The truck choice is a great decision ,as well as the Andersen. I agree I am no fan of the aluminum, only because I also don't think they are the best option, the single point attachment, Although many do like them. I have the Reese frame adapter attached to the puck system ,and the steel rail mount Andersen.

At one time Andersen was considering a four attachment hitch to fit these puck systems. It would be the best of two worlds, but that was two years ago when I communicated with them, apparently they have scraped that idea .

I have entertained the idea of converting that steel Andersen to attach directly to the puck system, eliminating a bunch of the frame work of the Reese adapter, welding parts of it directly to the Andersen, I have the means to do it. But the big problem is its defeating the purpose why I bought it, so I could remove it away from home. I fish with a one man inflatable pontoon boat, and need the hitch out of the way to transport the boat when camping .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was graduating from high school that year, had other things on my mind, but it was not comic books [emoticon]

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was graduating from high school that year, had other things on my mind, but it was not comic books [emoticon]

I WAS 2 !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen and 6'4" Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.