|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen and 6'4" Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Secret Squirrel" [emoticon]

NOW your showing your age.... the LAST episode of the aired in 1966!

I actually think that I may still have a comic book with Secrete Squirrel ?

I was graduating from high school that year, had other things on my mind, but it was not comic books [emoticon]

I WAS 2 !

I thought you were just a youngster [emoticon]

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Looking at a Ram. Can anyone comment that has an Andersen hitch with the 6' box? What kind of clearance are you getting between the cab and tailgate. What's the orientation of the pin adapter?

Thanks

Repost the question that was hijacked by the usual X&X brand crowd. [emoticon]

Hang in for awhile spud as more will drop by and give you their experiences with both products.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since most of the responses have nothing to do with the OP question, I'll chime in with a response only half way appropriate... I've been towing for years now with a Ram 2500 8' bed and Andersen Ultimate goose neck attached hitch. So, I can tick the Ram and Andersen boxes and ignore the 6.5 bed and puck mount. [emoticon]

I love it. No negatives worth mentioning. The absolute only negative I can think of (a minor nit) is that I have to run the front jacks further up and down to hitch up than I did with the traditional hitch.

Oh, and I'm surprised you didn't get "Andersen sucks. You can't put my 5 padlocks on it and prevent someone from unhooking it". [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Looking at a Ram. Can anyone comment that has an Andersen hitch with the 6' box? What kind of clearance are you getting between the cab and tailgate. What's the orientation of the pin adapter?

Thanks

A buddy and me installed a B&W Turnover Ball hitch in the bed of my Ram 2500 Cummins. Short box. Factory plastic bed liner.

No problems with the Andersen Ultimate hitch so far. Torque wrench in the truck toolbox for checking the bolts every couple of days on the road. Hitch adapter is in the reverse position to get the long pin box inside the bed and the cutouts on the Chaparral front corners allow plenty of clearance. I’ve turned at least 60 degrees on dirt/gravel and might make 90 if I screw up and really need to. Hitch ball is in the lowest position since truck is a 4x4 and high.

Photos to follow...

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 09/15/20 08:23am by richclover *

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

Thanks

A buddy and me installed a B&W Turnover Ball hitch in the bed of my Ram 2500 Cummins. Short box. Factory plastic bed liner.

No problems with the Andersen Ultimate hitch so far. Torque wrench in the truck toolbox for checking the bolts every couple of days on the road. Hitch adapter is in the reverse position to get the long pin box inside the bed and the cutouts on the Chaparral front corners allow plenty of clearance. I’ve turned at least 60 degrees on dirt/gravel and might make 90 if I screw up and really need to. Hitch ball is in the lowest position since truck is a 4x4 and high.

Photos to follow...

[image]

[image]

I responded to the OP on this, and I see he is also running the adapter with the fifth wheel closer to the cab, same as I am. If wanted he could run that 8 " further back. Without checking I thought with this new fifth wheel it looked like the pin box was a little too close to the tailgate , so I reversed the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab. Still I have no clearance issues with the cab. My previous fifth wheel with the Morryde pin box I ran the adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

Since most of the responses have nothing to do with the OP question, I'll chime in with a response only half way appropriate... I've been towing for years now with a Ram 2500 8' bed and Andersen Ultimate goose neck attached hitch. So, I can tick the Ram and Andersen boxes and ignore the 6.5 bed and puck mount. [emoticon]

I love it. No negatives worth mentioning. The absolute only negative I can think of (a minor nit) is that I have to run the front jacks further up and down to hitch up than I did with the traditional hitch.

Oh, and I'm surprised you didn't get "Andersen sucks. You can't put my 5 padlocks on it and prevent someone from unhooking it". [emoticon]

He got what he needed to know, I tow with the Andersen with a short bed Ram 3500.

Yes it was very pleasant that everyone stuck to the script here, it was about the Andersen ,not a dozen different hitches ,and how many padlocks [emoticon] Needs to be more of that .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

Thanks

Repost the question that was hijacked by the usual X&X brand crowd. [emoticon]

Hang in for awhile spud as more will drop by and give you their experiences with both products.

Hopefully not .

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quote - "Repost the question that was hijacked by the usual X&X brand crowd"

quote - "Since most of the responses have nothing to do with the OP question"

WOW... is it me, or are people a bit on edge lately?

I thought this thread stayed surprisingly straight forward?

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I responded to the OP on this, and I see he is also running the adapter with the fifth wheel closer to the cab, same as I am. If wanted he could run that 8 " further back. Without checking I thought with this new fifth wheel it looked like the pin box was a little too close to the tailgate , so I reversed the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab. Still I have no clearance issues with the cab. My previous fifth wheel with the Morryde pin box I ran the adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab.

I started with the adapter in the forward position, pin box further back, since every one I had seen was done that way. I was not comfortable with the pin box to tailgate clearance so it was simple to reverse the adapter, moving the box forward in the bed. Had I followed the Andersen install instructions (measurements), I would have done it that way to start with. No dents... Yet!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't have to......

"Oh, and I'm surprised you didn't get "Andersen sucks. You can't put my 5 padlocks on it and prevent someone from unhooking it". "

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen and 6'4" Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.