RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Andersen and 6'4" Ram

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Andersen and 6'4" Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
richclover

WY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/15/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“...With the popularity of the Andersen , that is not a bad idea if someone actually has the Andersen hitch, odds say they won't ,they will steal a fifth wheel with a convention pin box , having a convention fifth wheel hitch to do the stealing with ...”

Agreed. The lock does makes it nearly impossible for the adapter to “walk away”. I also remove the ball from the top of my hitch and lock it in the toolbox when not in use.


Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/15/20 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, back on topic. I talked with a man at a campground a couple of years ago with a new, high end, Ram and a new Montana High Country trailer. He wasn't too happy, his cab was dented and his rear window was gone and taped over with plastic. His Andersen hitch in the rear position was allowing his pin box to bite chunks out of his tailgate so he reversed the adapter. He happily towed for many miles until he lost focus on a tight back up combined with a driveway dip. The Montana does indeed have rounded corners but the trailer slopes forward from the overhang. When he went into the driveway dip the trailer leaned forward and took out his window. His dented cab was near the roof. You may want to keep this in mind.

Look at the Blue Ox Super Ride instead. It will hinge rearward when you need it.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

OP, back on topic. I talked with a man at a campground a couple of years ago with a new, high end, Ram and a new Montana High Country trailer. He wasn't too happy, his cab was dented and his rear window was gone and taped over with plastic. His Andersen hitch in the rear position was allowing his pin box to bite chunks out of his tailgate so he reversed the adapter. He happily towed for many miles until he lost focus on a tight back up combined with a driveway dip. The Montana does indeed have rounded corners but the trailer slopes forward from the overhang. When he went into the driveway dip the trailer leaned forward and took out his window. His dented cab was near the roof. You may want to keep this in mind.

Look at the Blue Ox Super Ride instead. It will hinge rearward when you need it.


I agree, if you blindly back up ,and not pay attention you are going to get into trouble. That was my concern with the pinbox being to close to the tailgate . If I would have had time on that first tow with the new fifth wheel I would of trimmed the corners on the pinbox , instead as said I reversed the adapter. I have no issues with it reversed . The combination of the pinbox placement on the fifth wheel ,and the rounded corners I don't plan on reversing it or doing anything with the pinbox .

I too have a driveway with a dip , and a street that is a bit too narrow to be able to back in gradual . I have to crank it pretty tight ,but still not a problem.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

“...With the popularity of the Andersen , that is not a bad idea if someone actually has the Andersen hitch, odds say they won't ,they will steal a fifth wheel with a convention pin box , having a convention fifth wheel hitch to do the stealing with ...”

Agreed. The lock does makes it nearly impossible for the adapter to “walk away”. I also remove the ball from the top of my hitch and lock it in the toolbox when not in use.


When I am not towing the tonneau cover is hiding the hitch, although if they want it ,they will get it, but with a locked tailgate they will have to cut the tonneau cover out of the way or break open the tailgate. It won't be easy.

As far as the adapter, I suppose someone will steal anything , but I can't imagine those adapter being in high demand. Taking the time ,and having the allen wrench ,and wrenches to remove just doesn't sound likely. I think that lock is mostly to prevent the theft of the fifth wheel, and here again I like my odds they don't have an Andersen hitch .

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long bed truck solves all the worlds problems!!!

For your viewing pleasure. Heck there is even room for a 30" front to back bed height tool box.

[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/16/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Durb wrote:

OP, back on topic. I talked with a man at a campground a couple of years ago with a new, high end, Ram and a new Montana High Country trailer. He wasn't too happy, his cab was dented and his rear window was gone and taped over with plastic. His Andersen hitch in the rear position was allowing his pin box to bite chunks out of his tailgate so he reversed the adapter. He happily towed for many miles until he lost focus on a tight back up combined with a driveway dip. The Montana does indeed have rounded corners but the trailer slopes forward from the overhang. When he went into the driveway dip the trailer leaned forward and took out his window. His dented cab was near the roof. You may want to keep this in mind.

Look at the Blue Ox Super Ride instead. It will hinge rearward when you need it.


I agree, if you blindly back up ,and not pay attention you are going to get into trouble. That was my concern with the pinbox being to close to the tailgate . If I would have had time on that first tow with the new fifth wheel I would of trimmed the corners on the pinbox , instead as said I reversed the adapter. I have no issues with it reversed . The combination of the pinbox placement on the fifth wheel ,and the rounded corners I don't plan on reversing it or doing anything with the pinbox .

I too have a driveway with a dip , and a street that is a bit too narrow to be able to back in gradual . I have to crank it pretty tight ,but still not a problem.

Good points.
Where the hitch was located in the bed ...
how the back of the pin box was shaped...
length of the pin box...
pin box location
...are all unknowns.

Apparently most Andersen users as you don't have these issue.

* This post was edited 09/16/20 05:53pm by an administrator/moderator *


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:


Good points.
Where the hitch was located in the bed ...
how the back of the pin box was shaped...
length of the pin box...
pin box location
...are all unknowns.

Apparently most Andersen users as you don't have these issue.




Its usually just the ones that are not paying attention ,and takes out a back window or dent their cab are the ones with the issue of their own doing.

This Andersen does give you more clearance than a conventional hitch or a manual slider. Of course a manual slider does, when used ,but how many times have we read where they took out their window or dented the cab because they didn't use the slider. Its not the hitch at fault here .

The hijacker did take longer then usual . [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 09/17/20 05:41pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

richclover

WY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/16/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

When I am not towing the tonneau cover is hiding the hitch, although if they want it ,they will get it, but with a locked tailgate they will have to cut the tonneau cover out of the way or break open the tailgate. It won't be easy.

As far as the adapter, I suppose someone will steal anything , but I can't imagine those adapter being in high demand. Taking the time ,and having the allen wrench ,and wrenches to remove just doesn't sound likely. I think that lock is mostly to prevent the theft of the fifth wheel, and here again I like my odds they don't have an Andersen hitch .


Agreed again, however, having had a theft or two, I feel better knowing the "house" and related "stuff" will be there when I get back. Perceived security is worth it. To me.

As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes. I can. Tools/equipment required is, as you know, a torque wrench. One of the reasons I bought an AUH. I've got a short bed with tool box and I can use it easily.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

When I am not towing the tonneau cover is hiding the hitch, although if they want it ,they will get it, but with a locked tailgate they will have to cut the tonneau cover out of the way or break open the tailgate. It won't be easy.

As far as the adapter, I suppose someone will steal anything , but I can't imagine those adapter being in high demand. Taking the time ,and having the allen wrench ,and wrenches to remove just doesn't sound likely. I think that lock is mostly to prevent the theft of the fifth wheel, and here again I like my odds they don't have an Andersen hitch .


Agreed again, however, having had a theft or two, I feel better knowing the "house" and related "stuff" will be there when I get back. Perceived security is worth it. To me.

As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes. I can. Tools/equipment required is, as you know, a torque wrench. One of the reasons I bought an AUH. I've got a short bed with tool box and I can use it easily.


I have the same hitch but the 20k version.... 153# ... 2 slip pins to remove the head at 75#... 4 slip pins to un hook the lower portion 78#... possibly 10-15 minutes total IF I have a beer in between removing the top and bottom portions


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/16/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes."

Well let's assume I am the so called "hijacker". I don't need a torque wrench to install mine. I can have mine removed or installed in 5 minutes MAX. Could be faster but I just turned 63.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Andersen and 6'4" Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.