RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: alaska 2021 ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> alaska 2021 ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
sljohnson1938

Mount Airy, NC - USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is any one planning on going up in 2021? assuming the borders are open of course. just wondering what it will be like since, i guess, that most of the businesses this year had no business. i wonder if the smaller, mom and pop type, businesses will be there.
at this point in time, as i type this, we do not plan on going up.
but there is always hope.

1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mom and Pops may be best suited to surviving. Few if any business expenses for those that own the real property. Why the gloom and doom?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

happynow

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been thinking similar thoughts. Our plans to go this year had been 5 years in the making. Lots of business folks in Alaska are suffering. It felt wrong to ask for a refund.
When I called to cancel reservations for RV Parks and Excursions, 2 places said they were closing up the business, one was an RV Park in Canada
We have commitments to our grandkids for 2021. Our new plan is Alaska 2022.

happynow

Steve and Carol

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I had a fishing trip planned this year and 50% paid for when things closed. So we're forecasting to take the truck and camper in early July of 2021 and hopefully make the trip. Like others, it depends on crossing borders and if there is quarantine requirements in place.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2020 turned brown and smelly for so many people and businesses. So many small businesses are going permanently out of business, some of which just haven’t announced it yet.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We postponed our trip from August of this year to June of next year. Some business have shut down but many have held on. We were lucky enough that the the lodge in Fairbanks will carry over deposit until next year. Even luckier is the lodge in Lake Clark N.P. had an opening at all for next year that we could slide into. We'd prefer to go later in the summer but are happy to go at all, assuming things ease up.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Ol'coot

Waco Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently planning to go 2021. Had all arrangements made and counting down the days for this year. Just moved reservations to next year. THINKING POSITIVE!!!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Mom and Pops may be best suited to surviving. Few if any business expenses for those that own the real property. Why the gloom and doom?

Unfortunately, from having watched seasonal tourist areas over the years, a bad year usually means lots of mom & pop businesses going under.

Problem is they still need to eat and keep the lights on at home and there usually are few other options for work in the area, so they can't go out and get a second job to make ends meet while the business weathers the dry spell.

We were already scheduled to do Alaska for 2022, so hopefully the worst is over and enough new businesses have back filled in by then but many will have lost their life savings.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

EEWally

Missoula, MT and Tahuya, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the situation with the Alaska Ferry (Marine Highway?). Can one start in Bellingham and have layovers in just Alaska ports and not Prince Rupert before continuing on land from Haines or Skagway? The ferry was a great part of our only trip to Alaska.

1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't the first time an area dependent on tourism has stumbled- Alaska went through the gold rush, the oil boom, and more. Florida, the East coast, the gulf, Galveston, and others go through this regularly and they bounce back. If an individual or their business flounders, then they pivot and do something else to survive. That's why there are so many Lyft drivers here in Chicago.

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> alaska 2021 ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.