RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Need hitch advice please.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Need hitch advice please.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your photos of your setup, you have THREE components pictured.
1. The shank - that portion that inserts into the trucks receiver. In your case you have a double shank, possibly homemade. TorkLift also makes one very similar. You need one as shown by Mitch150.

2. Another shank - the portion that the hitch head bolts onto. This is the only shank part you need, only you need to get one with the proper drop to level your trailer.

3. The hitch head - the part that bolts onto the shank with two large bolts (usually torqued to around 260ft/lbs or so) and which the ball mounts onto.

What this whole thing amounts to is that you need to purchase a new shank with the proper drop to level your trailer, mount your hitch head on it in the proper position to level your trailer, install the ball and then attach the trailer and go camping! [emoticon]

Unless you have need for a multiple shank mount to carry a bike or other item while towing your trailer, I would sell or otherwise dispose of that shank you have now.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Kelpike

Agawam mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Im not understanding this whole thing. You can take the extention bar thing off and put the wdh on normally. Or if the wdh can be put in upside down( mine can) then unbolt it and move it up to get less drop. What am i missing here?

I have the right height with the adapter. I don't get enough drop without the adapter no matter which way I put my wdh. I need to eliminate the adapter which means I have to buy a longer drop shank. I'm not sure if all drop shanks are universal in the spacing of the holes. Mine now are 1 1/4" apart.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don’t want to use your home made adapter, don’t have enough drop with the adjustable height hitch head plugged in direct to receiver and can’t get the trailer level enough with the drop shank you have, then yes you need a longer drop shank.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Need hitch advice please.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.