|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Advice on RV "carport"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I built something like this, I would want to do everything under the cover. This would include putting the things down when I empty one of the compartments, being able to open all the compartments fully, having the ladder feet sitting underneath the cover, etc.
It sounds like you're trying to balance overall aesthetic with practicality. While I agree this is important, any kind of structure is going to adversely impact your lot's aesthetic. Those that are detractors will always say how bad it looks, while those who are owners like you - wow this is a great idea. I would aim for the latter, and it seems you are too because you are thinking about which way the wind blows, how to back onto the driveway, and so forth.
What you didn't mention here is future upgrades. It might be helpful to have electric for waxing or a ceiling fan or have a couple sides partly closed to store things, etc. What about a drain- could you tie into the house sewer and get a easy place to dunno for incremental more cost? Everything would be below the slab anyway.

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kept the passenger side/main entry to RV 3/4 open sides so that IN the event of a power outage, I could stay in RV running generator and still have good natural lighting coming into the RV so I didn't feel "boxed in" on all sides. Mine is 12' high all the way across with small gable pitch roof above that. I made it 12' inside dimensions wide and yes, it takes a careful driver to get it straight but works for me.

cruising spud

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our rv under a "rvport" that my husband built many years ago. One thing that my husband just added to the rvport was gutters. A BIG impovement in the area around the port. Before the gutters we had water from the port dripping on our shed (because of this my husband rebuilt the shed after adding the gutters) which was near the port. Water from the roof also added to water in the driveway-the gutters helped alleviate this.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming if you have thought about it this far that you don't have HOA restrictions against carports. I would check with your city or county about how far you can go without pulling a permit. Also check if there are restrictions about how close you can get to your property line. Talk to a concrete company about backing a truck on your driveway; assuming you have a concrete driveway.
Always be thinking: "where will the water go?".
I would build it as big as I could.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I screwed up by having a 12 x 30 ft steel cover put up. I had a 24 ft Class C
at the time with no slides. After a yr or so we wanted something bigger, bought a 34 ft 5th w with slide. then I had the length extended by 10 ft, had to raise the top by 2 ft. I still cannot hardly park the RV since I have to have the drivers side 2 to 3 inches from the side of the cover in order to open the door to the RV as it has extra wide door.

Make sure you have it wide enough in order to stay in it in emergency. Wide enough to open the slides, tall enough in case you buy a bigger, taller RV

samsontdog">">

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ What he said. Make it as wide as possible, plus you can put shelving along the side with the extra width. I've seen many post like this over the years. The only regret folks have is not making it bigger.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Advice on RV "carport"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.