RV.Net Open Roads Forum: TT tire pressure - sticker or tire PSI?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT tire pressure - sticker or tire PSI?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After sitting in driveway for a year, one D rated tire blew. The replacement was E rated; however, the installer said to inflate the tire to the 80 psi on the sidewall of the new E, not the sticker which is 65 psi. So now I am confused.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not alone. If it was mine I would go by the tire pressure because how does the sticker know what tires are installed after the RV is shipped. Waiting for an expert answer.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you mean you have 3 D rated tires and 1 E rated tire?

If yes, you need to seriously consider replacing the other 3. The other 3 are likely at the end of their life if the one blew out sitting in the driveway. Especially at the higher pressure, it will create an inconsistent reaction to bumps going down the road which could cause issues with the handling and/or suspension.

Assuming all 4 were replaced, I would go with the tire manufacturers recommendation over the trailer sticker...but the sidewall lists the MAXIMUM allowable pressure. You can go lower but not too low (manufacturer should give details on selecting pressure). Of course, if all 4 are at the same higher pressure, shouldn't be as big of a concern.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, 3Ds and the 1 E. The one D blew out AFTER the trailer sat for a year, and we took a short 30 mile trip to check things out. Also, I'm in FL and it is HOT. That is when it blew, luckily at the campground we were going to stay 2 nights, not on the highway or on the driveway.

Also, to complain, the mobile tire guy charged me $139 mounting fee on top of the tire cost, with Good Sam roadside insurance paying the "rest".

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old are the tires? And I wouldnt mix and match ratings or type. Did you need an e rated tire? I would also use the tire info, as its diffrent now that you changed it. This is going to be a long thread with lots of opinions. Lol.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the tire blew sitting, it was aged out. The others are all the same age. I would replace the other 3 with the same tire you already have put on. Otherwise, you are playing Russian Roulette. A tire blowing at 60+ mph can do a lot of damage to your trailer. A LOT!

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't blow out on driveway, but after 30 mile trip.

Tire date is 0817, so 3 years old, which makes sense since this is a 2018 TT.

The sticker says D tire. Good Sam guy installed an E. I figured E was better than D, but at this point I didn't have any choice: he was here, he had a tire that fit, I had no spare. Dumb me.

The spare that came with the trailer was an old C rated tire, which I intended to replace the day I found out, but due to covid insanity, family insanity, and my own insanity, forgot to take care of it.

I'm thinking I should put all my D tires to 65 per sticker and on tire sidewall, like I have done for the previous 7000 miles. And pump the E tire up to 70 and hope for the best.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

The sticker says D tire. Good Sam guy installed an E. I figured E was better than D, but at this point I didn't have any choice: he was here, he had a tire that fit, I had no spare. Dumb me.

The spare that came with the trailer was an old C rated tire, which I intended to replace the day I found out, but due to covid insanity, family insanity, and my own insanity, forgot to take care of it.

I'm thinking I should put all my D tires to 65 per sticker and on tire sidewall, like I have done for the previous 7000 miles. And pump the E tire up to 70 and hope for the best.

Put the E on the spare tire rim and get a new D if the others are only 3yrs old and appear to be in good condition otherwise...but keep a close eye on the others and plan in about 2-4yrs replacing the other 3 regardless of miles.

When you did the 30mile trip, did you check the pressure before departure? Was there any sign of a nail or other road damage causing the failure?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

I am thinking three more E tires all at 75-80 psi.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Timeking wrote:

Put the E on the spare tire rim and get a new D if the others are only 3yrs old and appear to be in good condition otherwise...but keep a close eye on the others and plan in about 2-4yrs replacing the other 3 regardless of miles.

When you did the 30mile trip, did you check the pressure before departure? Was there any sign of a nail or other road damage causing the failure?

3 years is the life of a trailer tire that sits alot. I have blown 3 trailer tires perfectly aired up. All 3 were at the beginning of their 3rd year. I will never again run a triler tire into it's 5th year.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT tire pressure - sticker or tire PSI?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.