|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Stairs not working

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the 3 years I have had this motorhome, I have had problems with the stairs 4 times now. I have had the motor replaced, the controller replaced, some type of gear replaced, etc. Now they are messed up again. I have included a picture. We took a trip last weekend and when I got to the RV park, the stairs extended but wouldn't retract all the way. Once they get stuck like this, most of the time the stairs won't come out again but about every 10th opening of the door, they will extend. But when they retract, they only retract part way. The stairs are lubricated and I can push them up easy to the fully retracted position.

I am about to give up on them and disconnect them preeminently and just use a step that we recently purchase but I'd like to fix them one more time. Any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting?

[image]

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had trouble with steps like that. I found that the manufacturer had grounded the steps to the steps!. Moved ground to a good chassis ground and no more problems

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not familiar with auto-stairs, but you seemed to be replacing a lot of parts. Are there and micro switches on the steps that might be sticking and shutting the stair off prematurely? Any binds in the guides or supports? Do you have a fuse or a circuit breaker? If a breaker, perhaps it is drawing too much current, overheating and shutting down. Like a thermal fuse. All else fails, get steps or manual stairs.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you should have replaced the whole unit with that much problems. My C class 13 years never a problem now the A class 4 year so far so good.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over many yrs I have found that almost all of my step issues have been related to corroded/bad grounds, loose wires, and low/bad batteries. Kwikee used to have a pretty good diagnostic PDF on their website .. not sure new owner has the same.

You can remove a cotter pin and the bar that connects the step linkage to the motor .. that should allow you to readily move the steps in/out and determine whether there is a bindage issue.

Kevin

Jim1eddoc

Apple Valley CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same problem.. drove me nuts and went thru parts and service folks. Finally found a shop that drove the rig and found that when the coated wiring loom was jiggled (over a bump) a wire inside the loom would move enough to cause the steps to activate. Replaced the factory loom and all was well.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Step control module was not needed to be replaced. They RARELY fail.
2. Motors do fail, even new ones
3. "gear" ? sounds like you used a Service Shop and they had no idea what they were doing. SEE item 1
4. Take the cotter pin out of the trans linkage and the drive pin out. With the steps released, you should be able to retract and it will drop down and extend with minimum effort. If it does NOT, then the arm linkages are NOT correctly lubed and need lube. If this is OK you need a new motor. Doug

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had Kwikee steps on our 97 Coachmen. They are notorious for being unreliable when their moving parts are not lubed. Try CRC with PFTE on the moving parts, and see whether that cures it. The next issue, mentioned above, is that the controller needs a REALLY good ground. Third, the gearbox can get water in it and the input quill will begin to grind down. Ours was ground to a nub when I finally replaced it. The integrated motor-gearbox is not hard to replace.
HTH

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest issue is and has been lack of grease! Silicone spray is just not enough for these things!
If your rig is older than 1999 almost everyone in the business will tell you that there are no parts!
If this happens to you try E Trailer ! They are easy to deal with and likely have the correct parts in stock!
Grease them well !

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Coach Cleats

Watertown, Ct

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did u check the magnets on the screen door and/or front door. Sometimes they are located on the door frame. If they broke or fell off that could be the problem.

2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Stairs not working
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.