|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Gravity Water Fill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it remarkable that new entry level rigs are not are equipped with a fresh water gravity fill. The gravity fill is essential for the way my wife and I travel. I would be furious if I bought a new rig to learn that it lacks this basic motor home item.

This leaves me to wonder.... "What Else Is Missing?"

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I assume you looked around on the exterior and didn't find a fill hole?

If you don't: You could stop by the hardware store and pick up a garden hose end fitting. It would only take a minute or two to put it on, fill up and then 30 seconds to pull it off. Just have the fitting and a screwdriver handy by the front seat when you pull in.
How do you by pass the check valve to allow water to flow in?

Same way when you use a standard hose at a regular tap. Might be a valve or valves you switch over.

I doubt they put in a fresh water tank and there is no way to fill it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. If you have a holding tank that has easy access where you can gravity fill it using a 5 gal jug, you can cut an 8" hole in the top and seal it using a matching size marine deck hatch. It screws in place and is a waterproof seal. I have done that and it also allowed easy cleaning of the inside of the tank.

2. Or...Install your own gravity fill. Run a gravity fill port and hose, like a pool hose. Run it to the top of the tank and seal it. Place the fill port in an appropriate place inside the rv, near the tank. Fill it by hand with a funnel or if you do not want to hold a 5 gal jug, use a bilge pump and a clean bucket.

3. use your outside overflow tube. If you have an overflow vent tube on your holding tank remove the screen and use that port to gravity fill the tank . Again use a funnel or buy a small bilge pump.

For 12v power, I use my positive and negative outside solar port to plug into to power any 12v device. Just buy the appropriate 2-wire connector. I use it for my bilge pump and for additional outdoor 12v LED lighting around the campsite, so I can keep the bugs away from my entrance door.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

If you don't: You could stop by the hardware store and pick up a garden hose end fitting. It would only take a minute or two to put it on, fill up and then 30 seconds to pull it off. Just have the fitting and a screwdriver handy by the front seat when you pull in.

Same way when you use a standard hose at a regular tap. Might be a valve or valves you switch over.

You can fill the tank with a garden hose or any hose under pressure. I think what the OP is asking is how can he fill it by a jug of water when his MH did not come with a gravity fill line. The check valve in the inlet where you screw in your hose needs pressure from a garden hose to open and allow water to come in.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You can fill the tank with a garden hose or any hose under pressure. I think what the OP is asking is how can he fill it by a jug of water when his MH did not come with a gravity fill line. The check valve in the inlet where you screw in your hose needs pressure from a garden hose to open and allow water to come in.

If you read the first post, he says there's a hose just no hardware...garden hose adapters are cheap and easy to install in a minute or two, so now you have a hose that can provide enough pressure to overcome a check valve.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I did to our Itasca which sounds like it's plumbed the same as your mh.

I threaded a piece of 3/4" CPVC pipe for a garden hose, I did this with my lathe, then solvent welded/glued it to the end of a CPVC Tee.
I put a plug in the other end of the Tee, and drilled and taped it for 1/4"-20, and took a 1/4-20 threaded stainless rod to screw it through the Tee, so it pushes the spring load check valve that is just inside the mh, attached to female hose fitting on the outside of the mh. You need to make a guide to hold the rod on center.
You need to be very carful not to push the check valve open very far.
You need to point the side opening of the Tee up and add to it so you can pour water into it.

What I did was add a garden hose valve to the side, of the Tee, which is pointing up, and added a hose valve. Then a clear plastic hose, which goes to the water bag, which I hang from the top of the motor home.

Dusty

30sweeds

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the same problem.Water stations have all kinds of situations...You have the hook,bare hose (hook broke off),male water hose end mashed,no hose at all,just a faucet,vertical pipe on a spring with no hose.I have come up with what I think are adapters for every possible scenario.I hate the no gravity feed deal,almost as bad as the Winnebago I had with the gravity fill on the wrong side.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dumb question.
On the gravity fill. Your going to be carrying the water to it. So what difference does it make where it is?

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

Dumb question.
On the gravity fill. Your going to be carrying the water to it. So what difference does it make where it is?

I'm not sure I understand your question but if you're asking why bother putting the water in the tank if you're carrying it to the RV in a container anyway, there are a couple reasons.

The original poster has water available from a hose (but not one with standard garden hose threads that he could screw into his water port). If he had a gravity fill port he could just aim the water stream into the fill port and he'd be done.

In my case, even though if I drive up to the RV with several 5 gallon jugs of water, I don't really have room to store them - plus I can make multiple trips and store more water than I have containers for.

Plus, I already have a built-in 50 gallon water tank where I can store fresh water -- and it has convenient plumbing so I can use the water for washing dishes, showering, flushing the toilet, etc.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Dusty R wrote:

Dumb question.

I'm not sure I understand your question but if you're asking why bother putting the water in the tank if you're carrying it to the RV in a container anyway, there are a couple reasons.

The original poster has water available from a hose (but not one with standard garden hose threads that he could screw into his water port). If he had a gravity fill port he could just aim the water stream into the fill port and he'd be done.

In my case, even though if I drive up to the RV with several 5 gallon jugs of water, I don't really have room to store them - plus I can make multiple trips and store more water than I have containers for.

Plus, I already have a built-in 50 gallon water tank where I can store fresh water -- and it has convenient plumbing so I can use the water for washing dishes, showering, flushing the toilet, etc.

30sweeds, was commenting that the gravity fill was on the other side or their mh.

Dusty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Gravity Water Fill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.