|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Gravity Water Fill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dunl1492

Home

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a way to fill the water tank of a Coachman Class C without "city" water under pressure? I will be visiting a CG without "city" water connections, but they do have a potable water hose, just no hardware to connect it to my inlet water port. Trying to use the potable water hose to fill my tank using just gravity. Any help would be great.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacturer did you a big favor by not putting a gravity fill on your mode. It "saved" you $7.29 or so! It's a good example of how they scimp and delete things we take for granted.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you looked around on the exterior and didn't find a fill hole?

If you don't: You could stop by the hardware store and pick up a garden hose end fitting. It would only take a minute or two to put it on, fill up and then 30 seconds to pull it off. Just have the fitting and a screwdriver handy by the front seat when you pull in.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he needs a "Water thief".

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connects-Standard-Various-Sources/dp/B000EDOSKG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3L6G2U4160R8N&dchild=1&keywords=water+thief+faucet+adapter&qid=1600194863&sprefix=water+thief%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-1

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Coachmen as well, and wanted to be able to fill my tank from some 5 gallon jugs. I thought I could just hook up a short hose and use a funnel to fill it through the freshwater fill, but there's a backflow prevention valve or something there that prevents it from filling unless the water is under pressure.

So I bought an RV freshwater pump, attached hose fittings and wired it to my batteries, and used that to pump water from the bottles into the freshwater tank. I keep the pump around as a spare in case the one in the RV fails.

If the hose you're filling from has good pressure, you might be able to use something like a water bandit to slip over the water source hose.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a winterize setting, to pump antifreeze from a bottle, you can use that to pump water from a container into the tank. It's not the fastest operation ever. Just set the valves for winterization and open the fill valve and turn on the pump.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

If you have a winterize setting, to pump antifreeze from a bottle, you can use that to pump water from a container into the tank. It's not the fastest operation ever. Just set the valves for winterization and open the fill valve and turn on the pump.

Seems to me if this were correct, a person would have to fill the water tank with antifreeze, in the process of winterizing.

There is normally a check valve on the tank side of the pump to keep water/antifreeze from flowing backwards into the tank.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine does not have a gravity fill either so I just use one of my over flow tubes from the FW tank to add water using my solar shower bag.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

DrewE wrote:

Seems to me if this were correct, a person would have to fill the water tank with antifreeze, in the process of winterizing.

There is normally a check valve on the tank side of the pump to keep water/antifreeze from flowing backwards into the tank.

The fill valve connects the pressure side of the water system (after the pump) to the tank, allowing city water to flow into the tank. When closed, the check valve in the pump prevents this flow, as you note. For normal winterization, the fill valve is not kept open, and the tank does not fill with antifreeze. (It probably would be a good idea to briefly open it to force any water in the fill line out, and thus get a very small amount of antifreeze in the tank.)

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I assume you looked around on the exterior and didn't find a fill hole?

If you don't: You could stop by the hardware store and pick up a garden hose end fitting. It would only take a minute or two to put it on, fill up and then 30 seconds to pull it off. Just have the fitting and a screwdriver handy by the front seat when you pull in.
How do you by pass the check valve to allow water to flow in?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Gravity Water Fill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.