RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Class C Pros and Cons

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Class C Pros and Cons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/28/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really like our mid size (28 ft) class C. Short enough to be maneuverable but long enough to have room for a walk around queen bed in the rear slideout. Maintenance costs on a Class C are less than on a Class A (eg. many Quick Oil Change places will service a Class C) and safer with a real bumper and air bags in the front. As noted above, longer Class Cs often have lousy payloads since they'er built on the same Ford E450 chassis as the mid size rigs like ours, giving mid size rigs more payload capacity (ours is almost 2,000#).


Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy


kwplot34

home

Full Member

Joined: 08/13/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irishtom29 wrote:

Larger Ford based Cs, 30 feet and longer, often have lousy payload, I saw some with under 1000 pounds.


That's not entirely correct anymore. Check out the Thor Omni/Magnitude on the F550 chassis.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course the F550 chassis is a completely different animal from an E-450 chassis.

I wish smaller class C's were made on smaller truck chassis rather than on the cut out van chassis.

kwplot34 wrote:

irishtom29 wrote:

Larger Ford based Cs, 30 feet and longer, often have lousy payload, I saw some with under 1000 pounds.


That's not entirely correct anymore. Check out the Thor Omni/Magnitude on the F550 chassis.



Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/29/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Of course the F550 chassis is a completely different animal from an E-450 chassis.

I wish smaller class C's were made on smaller truck chassis rather than on the cut out van chassis.

kwplot34 wrote:

irishtom29 wrote:

Larger Ford based Cs, 30 feet and longer, often have lousy payload, I saw some with under 1000 pounds.


That's not entirely correct anymore. Check out the Thor Omni/Magnitude on the F550 chassis.


I wonder if an F450 is a completely different animal from an E450 chassis?

You may be making a point that, for best handling, any Class C should be based on a chassis that is designed to have a much larger weight carrying and handling margin than what many Class C motorhomes wind up being built on. In other words, an F550 (or an "E550", if it was still available) chassis probably would deal with Class C motorhomes from around 30 ft. on up much better than an F450 or E450 does.

For instance, our 11,800 lb. fully loaded Class C is built on an E450 chassis and it handles and drives "like a van" due to - what I'm guessing - is the chassis being required to deal with a coach weight way less than the chassis design maximum.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Mike Leslie

Michigan

Full Member

Joined: 03/12/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Michigan. We got two full insurance quotes last month. One was $600 the other was $800/yr. The difference was the $600 would not allow lowing the price for 5 months storage.
Mike Leslie

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

I wonder if an F450 is a completely different animal from an E450 chassis?


A F450 chassis is definitely a completely different animal than an E450.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/01/20 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to any kind of motor home, there is a delicate balance between "excess weight capability" and "quality of ride" which sometimes can influence "handling". Generally speaking, the more excess weight capability, the more harsh the ride will be, and the better it will handle. Less excess capability makes a softer ride, but might handle worse. An empty heavy duty van or pick-up truck, the harsh ride exists too, but you are not driving a house. There is a huge difference shaking up a house and it's contents, versus an empty heavy duty van or pickup.

In my experience, to avoid shaking everything to death, you need minimal extra load capability applied to both axles, and then deal with any handling issues with heavy duty suspension upgrades. How much is considered minimal extra margin? I can't say. I can say that my rig loaded heavy during a vacation has roughly 200 pounds extra weight margin on the rear axle, and most recently has been reduced to 500 pounds on the front axle. My rig is tail heavy so it is what it is. My front axle once had so much extra weight margin until I replaced the stock front coil springs with lower spring weighted ones. Changed just recently, the softer ride up front has been a real pleasure. I should have made that change many years ago.

You can read about my front coil spring project with pictures by CLICKING HERE.

* This post was last edited 10/01/20 05:25am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history


2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow


pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/01/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

pnichols wrote:

I wonder if an F450 is a completely different animal from an E450 chassis?


A F450 chassis is definitely a completely different animal than an E450.


How so? Why isn't a "400 series" chassis a "400 series" chassis, regardless of it's configuration? What kind of games is Ford playing, anyway?

I bought a small Class C MH on an optional E450 chassis because I wanted a 400 series chassis under the coach even though it wasn't required raw-weight-wise ... but in a van configuration for minimum overall length and maximum compactness.

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/01/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

When it comes to any kind of motor home, there is a delicate balance between "excess weight capability" and "quality of ride" which sometimes can influence "handling". Generally speaking, the more excess weight capability, the more harsh the ride will be, and the better it will handle. Less excess capability makes a softer ride, but might handle worse. An empty heavy duty van or pick-up truck, the harsh ride exists too, but you are not driving a house. There is a huge difference shaking up a house and it's contents, versus an empty heavy duty van or pickup.


That's why I put Koni Frequency Selective Damping shocks in the rear of our small E450-based Class C.

I wanted a shock that was extra stiff for better sway control of a big RV box, but I didn't want a shock's stiffness added to leaf spring stiffness otherwise (i.e. making the jolts from cracks and potholes worse).

To accomplish the above required a shock that automatically adjusted it's stiffness in real time depending upon the speed of the vertical forces being presented to it at the time. That's why a plain "heavy duty" shock with a constant amount of stiff damping in all situations would never have provided what I needed.

I have yet to add the automatic shocks to the front of our E450, however. For some reason the stock front shocks are still good and the ride in the front has always been fine - maybe that's just due to the difference in leaf springs and coil springs - I'm not sure.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/01/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because a truck is a truck and a van is a van.

An E450 chassis is a heavy duty chassis, as is a F450 truck. The cab and engine compartment are much longer in a truck. A van has the rear of the engine inside the cabin, hence the dog house that covers the rear of the engine in a van.

They do not use the same frame, nor the same steering components.

By the way. Chevy vans do not use the same chassis as their trucks either.

pnichols wrote:

Atlee wrote:

pnichols wrote:

I wonder if an F450 is a completely different animal from an E450 chassis?


A F450 chassis is definitely a completely different animal than an E450.


How so? Why isn't a "400 series" chassis a "400 series" chassis, regardless of it's configuration? What kind of games is Ford playing, anyway?

I bought a small Class C MH on an optional E450 chassis because I wanted a 400 series chassis under the coach even though it wasn't required raw-weight-wise ... but in a van configuration for minimum overall length and maximum compactness.


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Class C Pros and Cons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.