|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Monitor Install

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a battery monitor in our camper. It cost less than $20.00, and gives far more information than the OEM battery monitor. Among its various features is an alarm to indicate when the battery voltage drops below a set level.

[image]

The monitor is mounted on an interior wall that is near the converter so I could access the necessary connections. It must be connected to the battery's positive terminal, and a shunt (included with the monitor) installed in series with the wire directly connected to the battery's negative terminal. The other end of the shunt also connects to the monitor. The shunt enables the it to determine the total current being supplied by the battery. I used telephone wire (remember when the phone was hardwired and bolted to the wall?) to connect the display. It requires a total of 4 light weight wires. Telephone wire is perfect because it conveniently consists of 4 color coded wires in a single cable and it only costs 19 cents a foot!

[image]

The monitor displays the instantaneous battery voltage and current (amps). Form these values it calculates the instantaneous power (watts) and calculates the cumulative energy (watt-hours) used since the monitor was last reset. It has a switchable backlite to illuminate the display if needed. The picture was taken with everything OFF. The .2 amps therefore is the total of the parasitic loads (Propane/CO detector and radio).

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did the same thing! It gives quick and easy information.
Hardest thing was tracing the battery negative wire back to the terminal block. Actual time about 1 hr.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you happen to have a link?

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4-in-1 DC Electricity Usage Monitor

there is different current ones available to select there

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shastagary wrote:

4-in-1 DC Electricity Usage Monitor

there is different current ones available to select there

Thank you... I've been thinking about installing one of these but I was unsure exactly what to get

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool [emoticon]

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put one of these in a year ago. It's nice to have more complete information. Installation was pretty easy. I recommend one, especially if you dry camp.

DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's cool. Love that the little box charges the batteries. I need to get me a monitor too!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed this one.

It will display info on my tablet or smartphone with Bluetooth connectivity and an app.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are considering installing one of these monitors, here is some information that may help.

Before you begin, disconnect shore power, and disconnect your battery. You can probably access all the necessary connections in the wiring behind your converter. So if you can access that area it is the place to start.

[image]

This is a picture of the back side of my converter. As you can see neatness is not a priority during factory assembly! Look for a bus bar that gangs many of the negative returns from various camper accessories (lights, fans, refrigerator etc.) One of these wires will return to the battery negative terminal and so carries all the current from all the camper's electrical systems. This is the wire to disconnect and connected to the shunt. You must supply another wire (8 gauge) between the other shunt terminal and the disconnected bus terminal. It might be tricky to find the correct wire to disconnect from the bus. In my case it was the only wire from the bus that went through the floor so that's something to look for. To verify you have the correct wire disconnected, reconnect your battery and check that no 12 volt accessory works.

The positive 12 volt connection should be easier to find. At the back lower left of my converter are a red and black wire. If you remove the converter front panel you will see these are tied together at a terminal labeled +12 volts.

* This post was edited 09/17/20 09:31am by ADK Camper *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Monitor Install
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.