RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Johnny Dearborn

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m interested in hauling a motorcycle on the back of my 22.5 foot Shasta Class C on a Ford E350 V10 chassis. The bike I’m looking at weighs about 400 lbs (Kawasaki KLS). I can’t find any info online about the vehicle’s towing capacity or the max tongue weight for the hitch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out? Is 400 lbs within the typical limit for a Class C of this size?

Any recommendations for carrier are appreciated as well. Thanks!

---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spend some time googling and reading about available rear and front motorcycle carrying options. I have carried my 188 lb Honda Trail 90 on a rear aluminum hitch rack safely with ratchet straps and bungee cords. This arrangement blocks access to rear cargo door, however. The weight of a motorcycle may shift the balance of your rig adding weight to the rear and making the front end light on it's front wheels.

It may be that a small trailer is best and also useful for carrying other gear that won't fit well inside your short rig.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to weigh your rig first... never mind I see it’s a E350. 400 lb bike plus 100 lb rack is going to put 1000 lbs on your rear axle (500 off front)..ain’t going to work. Maybe a 200 lb bike but now you need to weigh.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget, that 400 lb. Kawasaki will double or triple in weight when you are bouncing down the road.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with Bordercollie… the solution is a small trailer. I am on my third MC trailer over the last 7 years and can assure they work/tow very well giving you far more options. 400 - 500 additional pounds on the rear end is a disaster waiting to happen… and it will.

Look at the Kendon line of folding trailers as they store vertically taking very little room in your garage. Used they can be had for around $1,200. My current and all time favorite is a nice 6 X 10' {8' tall} cargo trailer but they go for around $4K new and about half of that used. I have over 20,000 miles on the cargo trailer hauling my Indian Springfield, Polaris Rzr SXS, furniture, landscaping etc., they are really multi purpose.

[emoticon]

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Shasta has a short wheelbase. I’d only consider carrying a motorcycle on the front.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a small trailer...as others have said, it will put 1000lbs on the rear axle and take 500lb off the front axle.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a slightly different perspective. If the hitch and frame are rated to carry a tongue weight, it is rated for that rate whether it is bouncing or not - trailers do not glide on air. Being cantilevered does add to the effective load on the hitch but no more than the 2000 lbs from the front half of a trailer being pitched forward on the hitch from a dip in the road. Those affects would be taken care of in design. In a static sense, 500 lbs on the hitch would add 500 lbs to the axle plus with that wheelbase 250 to 300 lbs that the front axle became lighter. Again, if the manufacturer has provided the hitch rating, these extra loads have already been considered.

The problems in this scenario are finding a carrier that can handle 400 lbs and not weigh more than 100 lbs itself - if your hitch is rated at 500 lbs.

Also, if the rv is pictured in the signature, the short wheel base will accentuate the affects of the 500 lbs on the hitch. Be watchful for loose steering.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liability is not worth the risk. TRAILER it !

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just be sure to secure it well [emoticon]

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t........1000c965af6e81513147c1b6baa2&oe=5F86D3E7

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.