RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ndrorder wrote:

Here is a slightly different perspective. If the hitch and frame are rated to carry a tongue weight, it is rated for that rate whether it is bouncing or not .

Hitches are rated at a 8” load center for class 3 and smaller hitches, and a 14” load center for class 4 and up. A motorcycle carrier is double that, so the allowable tongue weight is effectively half.

Plus, that particular motorhome has a wheelbase ration of about 0.5, so the weight of the motorcycle and carrier will be removed from the front axle and added to the back. It might be ok on a E450, but the Dana 70 under the E350 will likely be overloaded.

Front hitch is the way go, besides a trailer. I’ve towed MANY miles with a Honda 650XL up front. I added driving lights to the rack to fill in headlight shadows, and turn signals as well. Vision is not obstructed, and it’s comforting to always have an eye on the bike. On the back, there always a lingering worry of “is it still there” especially after going over rough terrain.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a Kymco Agility 50 scooter on an aluminum Harbor Freight hitch rack behind my 24' E450 chassis Class C, for local transportation when needed. The scooter weighs 210 lbs and the rack about 50 lbs. There is not one bit of difference in the handling or steering with that load on my small house E450. No perceptible added squat on the rear scooter on vs. off. That comes with having 4500lbs of NCC.

That said, I would not carry any more than that 260 lbs of dead cantilevered weight on my unit, and certainly wouldn't do double that on an E350 with only 138" wheelbase and proportionally more rear overhang.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Johnny Dearborn

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to try trailering to start and the see how it goes. I’m also thinking about a front hitch. Any negatives to consider on that?

---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've carried our bicycles on a front trailer hitch. The only problem is traveling after dark, they block your head lights some, not so bad on express ways.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a front hitch and tote box on my previous rv.
Take measurements as to the height that the motorcycle body might sit. I don't know if it's a good idea or not to block or partially block the front airflow to the radiator and tranny cooler. Your first mountain climb on a summer day would be able to tell you best. Be prepared to clean it often with bug remover.
The other thing that comes to my mind is the placement of a front hitch . Some sit lower than others and you do not want to reduce your ground clearance entering and exiting driveways as well hilly intersections. Mine would hit curbs when I pulled head-into parking spots.
That's why I suggested to trailer it. I know its a pain to tow and park a trailer at times but I found it to work best.
I set up my trailer to also be a big closet, second bathroom and outdoor kitchen. I installed an awning on it. I used E-track fasteners on the interior walls to make easily removable shelves for storage which were installed above the bike .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Carrying a Motorcycle with my 2000 Shasta Sprite?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.