|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Shearing the sheep

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really feel sorry for those new RVers who have recently purchased or who plan to purchase an RV. The prices are far in excess of value. We are not in the market for ourselves but was thinking of buying a teardrop for our daughter and son in law. Just to get them out of a tent. Trailers that had been listed at $12 grand are nearly $21 grand. A teardrop mind you. Even the used units are out of sight. As in the past when this bubble burst a lot of dealers with go belly up and there will be a glut of used units f s b o where maintenance has not been performed. Nature of the beast.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the nature of the beast . Would you expect someone to sell for less than they can get ?

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's reminiscent of the housing bubble. Shame on the lenders for lending at those prices. Especially now with interest so low, it seems like the lenders are just asking for trouble but with little upside. On the one hand, they'll get low interest payments from the borrowers, and on the other hand they'll be facing tons of repos that will just end up going to auction.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AND, remember too, interest eats most of the payment at the beginning, and depreciation eats the re-sale value pretty quickly on new vehicles.

Down payment plus first year of mostly interest, then you have the auction value breaking about even on the repossession after what you paid out. The dealer gets paid, the finance company gets paid, and the buyer hold an empty hand when all is said and done. Not a good time to buy new, or even an over-priced used.

Occasionally take a quick peek at Truck Campers now, and see the monster prices. Amazing, fifty grand for ten x eight feet of camper. YIKES!

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the GOOD things for me is the UP-Market on RV's
Mine was declared a total. Now before you start expressing sympathy I've been thinking for the last couple of years that I need to start thinking about moving back to a sticks and bricks. This beast is starting to become a bit much for me. What I used to do swiftly is now a 2-3 day job (Set up/packup)

And the circumstances of the accident (A hit and run parking lot job) well.. NOT MY FAULT.

So due to the UP-Market.. I get more [emoticon]

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price goes up when something is popular. I’ll save my sorrows for people’s real needs.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prices are driven by demand. And demand is very high right now.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

I really feel sorry for those new RVers who have recently purchased or who plan to purchase an RV. The prices are far in excess of value. We are not in the market for ourselves but was thinking of buying a teardrop for our daughter and son in law. Just to get them out of a tent. Trailers that had been listed at $12 grand are nearly $21 grand. A teardrop mind you. Even the used units are out of sight. As in the past when this bubble burst a lot of dealers with go belly up and there will be a glut of used units f s b o where maintenance has not been performed. Nature of the beast.

economics 101...supply and demamd. great time to sell, not so much if buying.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's going to be some great deals on barely used RVs in a couple of years though...

See, there's a silver lining to every cloud...

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's all welcome the new RVers by telling them how stupid/foolish we think they are for buying a RV at this time, especially if they finance part of the idpurchase. Personally, I get the appeal of spending nights in my own bed and preparing food in my own kitchen when enjoying my time off.

Call me a sheep, but I am picking up my new travel trailer today. I paid ten percent more than a year ago but got ten percent more for my trade in. Financed part of the purchase at five percent. Net change is just a few dollars a month and I have a brand new trailer with a two year warranty. The dealer said that for every seven trailers that arrive, five are already sold. I believe him, as a whole row of Jayco trailers disappeared in the last week.

* This post was edited 09/17/20 05:55am by TomG2 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Shearing the sheep
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.