|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice to omit the auto change LP valve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive needed new hoses for awhile. For $25 i see some stainless hoses with a built in gauge. But i often read the auto change valves leak so maybe its best to buy a kit. Flame King has good reviews and 40 bucks for a complete kit on amazon.

I see a small bubble forming on the large hose the exits the regulator. Its right at the crimp connection. Is that common and cosmetic?

I dont use the auto change feature so maybe its best to get a single regulator with a nice quality hose. Along with new hose from regulator to trailer.

You guys helped me before with quality brands but i cant find that old thread. I remember there were 2 major brands one being Cavagna. Maybe the other was Marshal? Is that Flame King new or just the same ole cheap version thats always been around?

Ive got Rvpartsshop and Rv country open trying to see whats available.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many many years ago, I had auto change-over Marshall brass unit. It lasted for numerous years.
Looks like they now offer a kit that includes either a 15" or 24" hose MEGR-253HP-PT15 or PT 24. Difference is in kit it has high flow pigtails. 253 kit
Marshall now calls them selves MEC.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not use the auto changeover valve as is is designed? I have one on my TT and really like not getting up in the middle of the night to switch tanks. I check my valve every day to see if it had switched itself to the backup bottle. I never smell any propane near the regulator and don't worry about it. We do a fair amount of cold weather camping so we enjoy a warm camper.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rego might still build a commercial quality automatic changeover two stage propane regulator... $$$!
I also have two of the old Marshall regulators that are put together with screws and I have repaired one of them. Since those Marshall regulators have gone extinct, I’ve only seen cheapo crimped together, throw away junk RV regulators. Craig

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never leave the second tank open. The auto change is useless for me. All i need right now is 1 hose with inverted male flare.

Just hoping that hose will be compatible with a future regulator. Thats why im considering buying a good quality non change over regulator now, and get whatever hose to match. Seems like the high flow 2 stage regulators use the NPT instead of the inverted flare.

A gauge would be more useful than the auto change. Before a camping trip i loosen the brace and lift the tanks to see how full.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do you, but if you go to sell the camper then having the auto regulator will be something a buyer will want. Not a good sign to a buyer that little details, like not having the dual reg, is missing. Those send up red flags for me as a used buyer... makes me wonder what other cheap-o compromises have been made.
I understand that one camp trip for you will never consume a tank, and u start full.

I looked into the differences. I have no idea why RV industry does it this way, but all the regulators seem to have NPT type female threads, ALL, and fall within two sizes that I have seen *. The dual-regulators then use a brass inverted male flare fitting that screws into the NPT thread on the regulator, and bam, you have an inverted flare fitting on the regulator and now need an inverted flare hose. Sp, the dual regulator still uses the same fitting as the single, it just has the flare fitting already installed. If there is a difference in the quality or performance needed in a hose for a dual vs a single regulator then I am lost on that.

The regulator threads are called an FTP not an NPT.

Solution is to take the inverted flare fitting out of the regulator and screw in your FPT hose.

If your regulator is fine and you want to use one tank then just put an FPT plug in the empty side and use it as a single tank reg.

*1/4 inch FTP on the inlet side is the most common I have seen. That's a little bigger hole than 1/4 of an inch.

There may be regulators out there i have not seen, but I have looked at all the current popular ones on the market and these are my findings.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to mill the regulator to a reverse flair female connection. Easier to simply thread for Female Tapered Thread. It is National Pipe Thread.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your auto change is not leaking now, but you are fearful it will, then replace it.. Just keep it so when/if you sell the trailer, you can let the next person decide on it.

I personally have used the auto change feature and have never had an issue with it.. First one on a 2003 Prowler and worked great. Traded it in 2019 for the new Rockwood.

Loved it. I too check it and when I see green, I know it's still on the tank the lever is pointing to. I've had it switch on me many times between checks and when I see red, I move the lever to the other tank (cylinder for those that will get picky..) and know to get the other one filled at the next chance..

But, your trailer, your choice, do what works for you!

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a single cylinder regulator.... get one.
I would stay with the automatic. I recommend Cavagna brand.

Replace the hose with a bubble.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem with my auto change over valve on my last 2 trailers.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice to omit the auto change LP valve
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.