RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Class A Troubleshooting for us Newbies

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A Troubleshooting for us Newbies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The FIRST thing you need to do is go on line or to a Camping World and buy a few RV for beginners type books. Being Green, you need some type of bible/s to get thru the ownership of Fulltime RV'ing and operation of Motorhomes. Are you staying in Campgrounds? Are you just staying where you can park for free? Doug

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One caveat I always recommend to both newbies AND experienced RVrs. ALWAYS video tape your WALK THRU. If you do contact a mobile tech, video tape his walk thru with you. If not, and you have another rvr assist, video tape that as well. Build your own reference library. Videos take up very little room on your computer or put them on a jump drive for future reference. Finally go thru your rig and know where the basic things are: Inverter/Converter, fuse panels (there may be more than one), what type of batteries you have for the engine and chassis, how your fridge works, 30amp/50amp etc etc. These are all things you'll need to know to help troubleshoot. Finally, know what engine and trans you have and post that in your request for help. These are essentials....good luck...Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he should give a little more info,I recently looked at a DP and the guy selling it couldn't get the slide to work,turned out it couldn't be running.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeccorp1usa wrote:

My wife I bought a 1999 National RV Class A Dolphin 5350 Motorhome with the Ford 6.8 liter V-10 Triton. It had 29K miles when we bought it. We are living in it fulltime. We gave up the place we were living in search of a relaxed and rent free existence. We knew nothing about motorhomes and have never owned of even been inside one. Its been almost a month now and although everything seemed to work in the beginning, it seems like nothing does now. Where to begin. The automatic leveling system. It worked the first time we turned it on. The panel lit up and we lowered and raised the metal legs or whatever they are called and when we were done we raised them up and turned the panel off. Today we tried to use them and nothing. The panel will not turn on, won't light up, seems dead. What happened? Did we blow a fuse, throw a breaker? Did it burn up, is it dead? What happened that it was working fine and then nothing? Please help us. We have many questions, this is just the first. We are out of our element, we know nothing, we are as green as the greenest grass on earth. But we want to learn, we have to learn, we are not going back to living in a $1,000 a month box. We are RV living now and not looking back. Please advise. Thank you

I admire your courage/bravery! Please understand that what you now "own/live in" is the COMBINATION of a 21 year old house and 21 year old truck, plus the interface between the two, and the ground, all compressed into one. Things WILL wear out and go wrong. (on a regular basis) Expect that. Patience, knowledge, manuals, tools, YouTube, the people you meet along the way, and forums like this are valuable resources. You're gonna have a great time! Always keep your sense of humor tuned up.

There's very little that is going to happen to both of you that hasn't already happened to someone else, AND, they have already solved the problem(s) in a most efficient/effective way. Just ask, but, do your homework first, and, don't be a pest.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 09/30/20 05:58pm by Chum lee *

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flute Man wrote:

Call me. I can help you over the phone. I am a full-timer for 14 years.
I am also a retired electrical engineer and professional troubleshooter.
You might also need to locate a mobile RV Tech. Many are very good. Ask around and you might get some good recommendations.

Now how could you go wrong here with this man

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Branson N Tucson

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried Google it on the phone. Put your year and Make of MH. Subject putting dow and retracting levers. Any more they have vetoes on everything.

Jeccorp1usa

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

The FIRST thing you need to do is go on line or to a Camping World and buy a few RV for beginners type books. Being Green, you need some type of bible/s to get thru the ownership of Fulltime RV'ing and operation of Motorhomes. Are you staying in Campgrounds? Are you just staying where you can park for free? Doug

Jeccorp1usa

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Doug, thank you for the advice. We purchased the only Dolphin manual we could find (avail. only in cd-rom). Its a 550 pg. manual that is a collection of manuals for our RV. We are delving into that and have utilized a mobile mechanic who is very good. We have learned quite a bit but there is so much more. Thanks again, JoeandRoxanne

Jeccorp1usa

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

Flute Man wrote:

Call me. I can help you over the phone. I am a full-timer for 14 years.
I am also a retired electrical engineer and professional troubleshooter.
You might also need to locate a mobile RV Tech. Many are very good. Ask around and you might get some good recommendations.

Now how could you go wrong here with this man

Jeccorp1usa

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Jeccorp1usa wrote:

My wife I bought a 1999 National RV Class A Dolphin 5350 Motorhome with the Ford 6.8 liter V-10 Triton. It had 29K miles when we bought it. We are living in it fulltime. We gave up the place we were living in search of a relaxed and rent free existence. We knew nothing about motorhomes and have never owned of even been inside one. Its been almost a month now and although everything seemed to work in the beginning, it seems like nothing does now. Where to begin. The automatic leveling system. It worked the first time we turned it on. The panel lit up and we lowered and raised the metal legs or whatever they are called and when we were done we raised them up and turned the panel off. Today we tried to use them and nothing. The panel will not turn on, won't light up, seems dead. What happened? Did we blow a fuse, throw a breaker? Did it burn up, is it dead? What happened that it was working fine and then nothing? Please help us. We have many questions, this is just the first. We are out of our element, we know nothing, we are as green as the greenest grass on earth. But we want to learn, we have to learn, we are not going back to living in a $1,000 a month box. We are RV living now and not looking back. Please advise. Thank you

I admire your courage/bravery! Please understand that what you now "own/live in" is the COMBINATION of a 21 year old house and 21 year old truck, plus the interface between the two, and the ground, all compressed into one. Things WILL wear out and go wrong. (on a regular basis) Expect that. Patience, knowledge, manuals, tools, YouTube, the people you meet along the way, and forums like this are valuable resources. You're gonna have a great time! Always keep your sense of humor tuned up.

There's very little that is going to happen to both of you that hasn't already happened to someone else, AND, they have already solved the problem(s) in a most efficient/effective way. Just ask, but, do your homework first, and, don't be a pest.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A Troubleshooting for us Newbies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.