|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FORD F-150 AXLE RATIO CHOICE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say get the 3.55 if you plan to tow that size trailer.. With the 10 speed, you can still select the gears accordingly and when running empty, it'll be just fine...

I have 3.73's with the 6 speed and Eco and it's a great combo for everyday driving and towing a #7000 TT.

When towing, I keep it in 5th Keeps me around the 2200 rpm range and the boost lower than towing in 6th.

You will find that running an EcoBoost, you have Eco or Boost.. If you are in the Boost, you will suck the fuel and the engine will run hot...

Towing, you won't get any better mpg's with any gear ratio..

Empty, with my 3.73's going 70 mph, I'm at 2000 rpms and can get 19-20 mpg on the hwy.

I'd get the 3.55's if it was me.. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said in the other thread. You will need the 3.55 gears. Just pulling in a lower gear is not the same as opting for a lower gear ratio!
And again, get the max tow and HD Payload.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 3.5 ecoboost w/10 spd transmission and 3.73, gets 15 mpg around town, 21 mpg plus highway and 10 towing, and it's a towing beast. Don't worry about mpg, go for towing guts and go all out and get the 3.73.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Only 6600 pounds dry will be 7200-8000 pounds loaded. Combine that with pulling two sheets of plywood through the air at 65-70mph.

That is a 7% difference in gearing. You'll never notice a measurable difference in fuel consumption. You will feel a 7% difference in wheel torque. I recommend 3.55 (or whatever the highest numerical axle availible).

In the old days of 3 speed transmissions that made a lot of sense because if you dropped down a gear, it felt like you were red-lining the engine to make 55mph.

With lots of gears to choose from, very little impact from the rear axle ratio unless you are pushing beyond what the lower (numerical) ratio is rated for.

The engine doesn't know how it got to the overall gear ratio (transmission plus axle ratio)...it just knows the final gear ratio, so the engine will run at roughly the same RPM & torque for a given speed even if it picks a different transmission gear to do so.

I would select for the highest payload possible.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2018 has the 3.55 gears and the 3.5 Max tow. It tows a 6000# like it’s not there, and I still get 22 mpg highway not towing. The Max tow has the 36 gal. fuel tank which is worth it in itself.

snowedin

Poverty Flats, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also been looking at the towing options for the 2021 F150 and have in the past gotten the Max Tow Package because it included all the items one wants for towing at a price less than if each item were optioned separately but this year it appears to include 20" wheels and I don't want 20" wheels. Have had the 3.55 gear ratios with my 2014 3.5 Ecoboost and also with the 2017 Ecoboost and definately will get the 3.55 again. My brother and I each had identical 2014 F150's except he had the 3.31 gearing and I had the 3.55, I consistently got better everyday gas mileage (I know that the driver has more to do with gas mileage than maybe the gear ratio does but am just relating my experience). Hopefully I am wrong about the 20" wheels but on Ford's Build and Price website that's what comes up. The Max Tow Package includes the 3.55 gearing as I recall. And for me the 36 gallon gas tank was absolutely essential as you will be getting 10 mpg or less.

* This post was last edited 09/18/20 07:55am by snowedin *   View edit history

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree the 10-spd trans (I have a vehicle with 9-spd) makes a huge difference and final drive means less. Axle ratio makes a difference for 6spds in RV owner experiences. But there is no justification for a lower axle ratio. It certainly isn't fuel economy for anything except the US Government fuel rating drive cycle. If you are compromising for something on a lot that you have to get in under a month - maybe.

I also agree payload is more important than axle ratio for this truck. I also recommend getting the largest fuel tank available.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of this talk about mileage.
A diesel will out pull your little 3.5, get better mileage and last twice as long. I will retain its value much better.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody is talking about no difference at highway speeds. But the high speed gears will put more strain everything when starting the load.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Everybody is talking about no difference at highway speeds. But the high speed gears will put more strain everything when starting the load.

Assuming you don't exceed the ratings...it will only put more strain on the drive shaft and rear transaxle gears but they are rated for that extra load.

Everything else will see identical strain levels.
- The axles past the pumpkin have no clue what is providing the torque.
- The transmission will simply select a different gear to keep the strain the same and the engine won't know the difference as the overall gear ratio will be pretty much the same.

It's only if you exceed the max rating for the rear end that it becomes an issue.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FORD F-150 AXLE RATIO CHOICE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.