|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FORD F-150 AXLE RATIO CHOICE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Assuming you don't exceed the ratings...it will only put more strain on the drive shaft and rear transaxle gears but they are rated for that extra load.

Everything else will see identical strain levels.
- The axles past the pumpkin have no clue what is providing the torque.
- The transmission will simply select a different gear to keep the strain the same and the engine won't know the difference as the overall gear ratio will be pretty much the same.

It's only if you exceed the max rating for the rear end that it becomes an issue.

Assuming you don't exceed the ratings, it might not matter, but the stress is not all the same. Trans in lowest gear, converter at stall. Higher speed gears takes more torque on driveshaft to turn wheels. To apply this torque, motor mounts must resist the engine rotating in frame. Frame/body must hold the mounts in place against extra force. Driveline and gears carry the extra force. What most RVers will be most likely to see is the extra heat in transmission fluid because of extra slip in the converter.
I bet the take off from stop has more to do with increase in ratings than anything about on the highway.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Everybody is talking about no difference at highway speeds. But the high speed gears will put more strain everything when starting the load.

Assuming you don't exceed the ratings...it will only put more strain on the drive shaft and rear transaxle gears but they are rated for that extra load.

Everything else will see identical strain levels.
- The axles past the pumpkin have no clue what is providing the torque.
- The transmission will simply select a different gear to keep the strain the same and the engine won't know the difference as the overall gear ratio will be pretty much the same.

It's only if you exceed the max rating for the rear end that it becomes an issue.

With a lower gear (numerically higher) each gets in the transmission will then become that much more efficient. So if you were running in 5th or 6th with 3.30 gears you could run in 6th or 7th (all dependent on transmission gearing) with 3.55’s. Also with the lower gears the truck will accelerate easier and maintain speed easier due to the increased efficiency. The only place you “might” see a loss in mileage is unloaded highway. And that number may only be .2 at most!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bellavance wrote:

My new trailer (Keystone 26RBS) weighs only 6600 lbs + cargo.
I’m about to order a 2021 Ford F-150 equipped as follows:
V6 3.5 engine
Standard (not Max) Trailer Towing Package.
This truck has a 10-speed auto transmission, and can tow 10,500 lbs and the same 16,200 lbs GCWR with EITHER the 3.31 or 3.55 AXLE RATIO, according to Ford.
I was thinking about ordering the 3.31 axle ratio for fuel economy on flat highways, and pulling the trailer in 9th or 8th gear if necessary, which would raise the axle ratio as needed.
Can anyone help with this decision?
Thanks.
Pierre

You don't mention what cab size and trim level you are planning on buying, those are very important factors that will greatly affect your actual towing capacity.

Towing capacity is limited to the leftover available payload you have when you subtract the curb weight, passenger weight, fuel weight and OPTIONS above the BASE model level of the vehicle.. Factory and aftermarket options add more curb weight and that reduces your over all payload.

The numbers you fished out are for BASE model (regular cab, short bed, 4x2, XL trim).

Move to Crew cab, long bed, 4x4, Platinum trim and you WILL need Max Tow/Payload option in order to get you a high enough payload for the trailer weight you are planning..

You are starting out pretty darn heavy at 6600 lbs EMPTY, put in say 1,000 lbs of cargo in the trailer, plus add a passenger or two to the vehicle and perhaps a few items in the truck bed and you could be easily north of 8,000 lbs..

Trailer tongue becomes "cargo" of your tow vehicle, 6600 lbs of empty trailer at 15% tongue weight is 990 lbs alone that your truck needs to be able to support.

7600 lbs (6600+1000 of cargo in trailer) at 15% is 1140 lbs of cargo needed.

So, 1140 lbs of trailer tongue, add 100 lbs for WD hitch, driver plus passenger 400 lbs, 200 lbs of stuff in the bed..

That comes to 1840 lbs of "cargo" your truck needs to handle..

A loaded Crew cab F150 Platinum 4x4 without Max Tow/Haul option might get you barely 2000 lbs of cargo.. In times past you were lucky to get 1600 lbs of cargo in that configuration..

I might also add, for the money you are about to part with on a F150, you might be able to get into a pretty nicely setup F250 and enjoy considerably MORE cargo capacity for nearly the same amount of money..

A fully loaded Platinum F150 4x4 (Eco, Max tow/Payload and all the bells and whistles) can go for more than $60K US.

The trick here is ordering exactly the way you want with only the optional items you want.

I ordered a 2020 F250 Basic XLT package Super cab short bed with 6.2, 7.3 ratio with electronic locking axle. This combo gives me 3800 lbs of cargo. Cost out the door with no trade in was under $45K US

Yeah, I get it, mileage may not be as good empty, but it IS better than you think.. Currently my 2020 is getting me 16.5 empty, have seen that as high as 17.0.. At 16.5 MPG, my 34 gallon fuel tank gets me around 500 miles per fill up..

When towing the mileage on my 2020 drops to 10-11 MPG but so will the Eco F150..

Eco F150 might get you 20-22 MPG empty AND you will need to drive it like you are walking on egg shells to keep out of the turbo to get that.. so we are talking not all that much more cost to drive per mile in a F250 and you do not have to get 20" tires to get nearly 4000 lbs of cargo capacity..

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

All of this talk about mileage.
A diesel will out pull your little 3.5, get better mileage and last twice as long. I will retain its value much better.
And it will only cost you a measly $10,000.00 more.
P.S. - I believe the post was about the rear axle ratio, not what was under the hood.

* This post was edited 09/18/20 02:29pm by wing_zealot *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’re not talking much different here.
Different story if it was like 3.30s to 4.30s or something.
Get the deeper gears if you can. As much for resale as anything.
Get the higher gears if you can get a better price

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

ppine wrote:

A diesel will out pull your little 3.5, get better mileage and last twice as long. I will retain its value much better.

Which you will easily get back in saved fuel, performance, and resale value. My 2002 Ford is going up in value with 175k miles.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

ppine wrote:

Those are small little details...........same with the cost of oil changes.....oh and don't put it in a F250 or you'll have the same payload as a gas F150

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

treyster

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for fun price out a 3/4 ton.

No worries about weight, power, gears, payload, and you get room to grow.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

ppine wrote:

Those are small little details...........same with the cost of oil changes.....oh and don't put it in a F250 or you'll have the same payload as a gas F150

SHHH! Don't tell the 3/4 1ton diesel guys that! They don't want to be reminded of it!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

SHHH! Don't tell the 3/4 1ton diesel guys that! They don't want to be reminded of it!

What is the cost of a crew cab, max payload, max tow 3.5 eco-boost F-150?
I don't think they are bargain priced?

* This post was edited 09/19/20 09:08am by an administrator/moderator *

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> FORD F-150 AXLE RATIO CHOICE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.