RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Honda EU generators, BLUETOOTH, FINALLY!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Honda EU generators, BLUETOOTH, FINALLY!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

wnjj wrote:

I wonder why they didn’t make the ECO switchable from the app.
At 10:58 in the OP's video, eco is switched on from the app. With being able to shut down the generator and change eco from the app, it does seem to me there are more things to break. For instance, a fault in the remote control system could make the generator inoperable.

I didn’t see where he switched it in the app, only that it displays the state of the old-school rocker switch. Notice the cut in the video and that he just mentions it showing that it’s on.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO the CO meter may NOT be as good as it seems. Yes, if you are running in an enclosed area I'm sure it would shut off or alarm. However if it outside and the exhaust is upwind and the exhaust is pointing towards a building and your close, like outside a door, garage door etc. it's possible that the CO concentration at the meter may be low, but CO buildup in the building could be bad.

It doesn't take much CO to be a killer, especially in lower concentrations with long exposure, like cooped up in a room or worse yet sleeping.

I can see the CO thing making people think they can be careless and it will protect them. it may not


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/19/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

wnjj wrote:

I wonder why they didn’t make the ECO switchable from the app.
At 10:58 in the OP's video, eco is switched on from the app. With being able to shut down the generator and change eco from the app, it does seem to me there are more things to break. For instance, a fault in the remote control system could make the generator inoperable.

It looked to me like he stopped recording, went outside to hit the eco switch, came back inside and started recording again.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

IMHO the CO meter may NOT be as good as it seems. Yes, if you are running in an enclosed area I'm sure it would shut off or alarm. However if it outside and the exhaust is upwind and the exhaust is pointing towards a building and your close, like outside a door, garage door etc. it's possible that the CO concentration at the meter may be low, but CO buildup in the building could be bad.

It doesn't take much CO to be a killer, especially in lower concentrations with long exposure, like cooped up in a room or worse yet sleeping.

I can see the CO thing making people think they can be careless and it will protect them. it may not


I agree with this. Plus it may false alarm if the generator is nowhere near anyone but sitting in its own CO. Maybe a detachable portable alarm that can be placed near the people?

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/20/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

... but the CO monitor, if it shuts down the generator, would be useful for idiots who run generators inside their homes or garages.

Ditto.

There's still people that do it!
and the sticker on the top pointing where the exhaust is, uhhh...over top. I guess you have to place warnings everywhere for the stupid people out there.


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Latner

Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/20/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

... but the CO monitor, if it shuts down the generator, would be useful for idiots who run generators inside their homes or garages.

Ditto.

There's still people that do it!
and the sticker on the top pointing where the exhaust is, uhhh...over top. I guess you have to place warnings everywhere for the stupid people out there.


Stickers don't bother me, I "debadge" anything that comes with them...generator, camper, etc.

road-runner

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/03/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/20/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:


I didn’t see where he switched it in the app, only that it displays the state of the old-school rocker switch. Notice the cut in the video and that he just mentions it showing that it’s on.

You and bobbo are correct, I was easily tricked by the cut in the video. In researching this I ran across something else as an aside which isn't cold, hard fact but kinda-sorta sounds to be true:

- CO detector must be replaced in 10 years or generator won't run
- If CO detector fails, generator won't run


2009 Fleetwood Icon

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/20/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I ever buy one with the CO detector, I will cut the wires to it. If that won't let the generator run, I will wire nut them together. I, also, don't run a generator inside an enclosed space.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/20/20 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wnjj wrote:

More data is always a good thing and I don’t think it makes anything more likely to break.
I don't recall the bluetooth breaking on anything.

I have to keep reminding myself I can turn on my household oven with my phone.



Shoot almost as good as the toilet and porch light aps

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/20 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be me? Blue tooth, really, why? Electric start with remote would get me in the store! Was there a gas gauge on that thing?


I would like to hazard a WAG, people that run generators inside are not posting anymore.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Honda EU generators, BLUETOOTH, FINALLY!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.