|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTR Mobile - GRRRR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I "was" a fan of OTR Mobile. for $60, seemingly uncapped data and speed on AT&T network was IMO affordable.

Back in April they did a forced change to T-Mobile AND raised the price to $70. Service has been less than stellar.

Now they are doing another forced change back to AT&T. Price now going up to $90 per month.

Working from home (Covid), this has been a savior to allowing me to be virtually anywhere, but a 50% increase in approximately 6 months!

I've looked at other solutions, and they all seem to be even more expensive.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, all of these so called "unlimited" third party resellers are doing something shady. It might not be illegal but the real providers figure out what these resellers are doing and either cancel their ability to sell the plans or make it too expensive. Then the resellers find some other avenue or loophole to continue their business. Then it's Rinse and Repeat. If AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon wanted to provide truly unlimited data with no caps, no throttling, no anything, at a reasonable price, they would do it themselves. They don't need resellers to sell their product.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have really hated life 22 years ago, before the internet went WIFI.

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OTR Mobile, like other MVNOs, has been at the mercy of the main providers' (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile) changing policies.

The big 3 have discontinued or downgraded many of their own really good plans over the past couple years. Sometimes they grandfather existing plans . . . but not always. Try getting an unlimited Mobley Plan or adding an unlimited hotspot to AT&T's "Unlimited Plus" for $20. Verizon dropped their pre-paid unlimited hotspot plan a while back too.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Snip...
If AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon wanted to provide truly unlimited data with no caps, no throttling, no anything, at a reasonable price, they would do it themselves. They don't need resellers to sell their product.

They already have!
Check out Visible by Verizon.

I have been on their network for the past year and have had no place that was not covered.
Unlimited minutes, texts, and data with no speed cap ever. $40/month all in. No extra charges at all.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

Snip...
If AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon wanted to provide truly unlimited data with no caps, no throttling, no anything, at a reasonable price, they would do it themselves. They don't need resellers to sell their product.

They already have!

I have been on their network for the past year and have had no place that was not covered.
Unlimited minutes, texts, and data with no speed cap ever. $40/month all in. No extra charges at all.
Barney

Do you have the SIM in a phone or a physical hot spot?

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is in my phone - Galaxy S8+. I use it as a hotspot when we are camping all the time.
Barney

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

It is in my phone - Galaxy S8+. I use it as a hotspot when we are camping all the time.
Barney

Nice plan for limited access. I believe only one device at a time can use the hotspot feature?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Barney

Nice plan for limited access. I believe only one device at a time can use the hotspot feature?

I've had my Visible SIM in Novatel hotspots for about a year now with no complaints from Visible. The hotspot doesn't have the single device limit that the phones have. Another option is to make the single device connected to the phone one of the many routers that will accept a tethered or WiFi Internet connection.

On edit, I should add that I'm only paying $25/mo using Visible's "Party Pay" feature.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

Snip...

They already have!

Barney

Except according to the Visible website there can be restrictions. In very small print it says....
*In times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
**WiFi calling available on select devices.
+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.
I'm sure it's a very good plan but it not truly unlimited. There's always a catch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTR Mobile - GRRRR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.