RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: We are Drowning in our...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Own Garbage..... Folks have you noticed how much trash is just thrown out of people’s vehicles when driving down the road? And Campsites that resemble a garbage dump? And disgusting usage of vault toilets & bathrooms??? I’m thinking that if this issue isn’t addressed soon we will all drown! Should Garbage / Trash Disposal, Recycling & Sanitation be something that should be taught by the Public Schools in hopes of getting the message through to some of the population? Or a government campaign to address the issue?

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Schools have enough on their plate trying to teach the four R's and dealing with the pandemic.
Government projects cost millions and seem to have little effect.
It al starts at HOME!! Respect for nature, other people and being taught to do the right thing starts at the lowest level. Always taught my kids to leave a place cleaner than they found it. They grumbled sometimes but they now teach their kids to do the same...

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This very issue is what scorned me away from RV'ing the states decades ago. Since the mid seventies I went strictly backpacking and horsepacking. And in Mexico if I couldn't live around my rig instead of cooped-up inside, I left for greener pastures.

When Mexico went full-bore to eliminate roadside littering in the 1980's they didn't screw around. Hundred dollar littering fines and real recycling money paid for scrapped cars that used to be found alongside roadways and filling canyons.

At the hotel a simple sign worked wonders for RV'ers
LIDS MUST FIT TIGHT, OR THERE WILL BE BITING FLIES.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this isn't news. Seven billion people make one heck of a mess.

About all you can do is do what you can, and try not to contribute to the overall increase in trash.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh this is a hot button issue for me, the roadside trash problem is only a part of the issue.
The issue is a total people who lack of respect and common courtesy for themselves other people or the world they live in.
Our country every day looks more like the third world countries that people are trying to escape from.
I have tried to think of a solution and the only thing I can think of is to make littering so painful if caught the perpetrator would not want to engage in said behavior .
I mean really stiff like impounding the vehicle until a massive fine is paid.
A penalties make a difference when I moved to lake Geneva Wisconsin I worked for the power company and hardly a week would go by without our facilities being trashed by a drunk driver, sometimes two or three a week.
But then Wisconsin stiffened the penalties and when I left twenty five years later it was unusual for a crash involving a drunk driver vs power pole.
The cost of the enforcement could easily be paid by fines and the government would not have to pay for trash pickup along the road.
When people behave like children you have to treat them like children and get their attention.

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long time ago when I was in grammar school we had a class on health something or other. I don't think this was a subject....but today we should n our schools have at least some inclusion of social responsibility, not politics, and cleanliness and dealing with trash in the first four grades.
however kiss get their influence from their Parents first.
Certainly Civics classes in Junior and High school should touch on this as some Parents depend on school to raise their kids,it seems.
For the adults on littering or state is $1,000.00 fine I think now and I have seen signs possibly herein Az it is $3,000.00.
Enforcement seems to never be applied however, as there are more pressing problem for Law Enforcement to deal with...and they have to see the person throwing it out or someone has to bear witness and file the for the warrant along withe everything else..unless there are items with the name of the Litters on it.Fast Food places are limiting or not even providing trash cans now.
When they have a festival in the town across the river we get lots of tourists and on average weekends too. Our yard field gets a lot of their trash. Fortunately we have groups that adopt sections of the highway and ours gets cleaned up. I use to do that with Sertoma.
Chase them down and the next stop, super glue their cans to their windshield so they won't lose them next time.

* This post was edited 09/19/20 01:17pm by down home *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the above is all true, and litter is a recent problem, why did they have that famous anti-littering commercial in 1971? That's 50 years ago, so the problem then would have been our parents. So the problem is their parents' lack of parenting skills?

Basically, people are slobs, full stop.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a minority and you'll never change that type.
Eight four years old and thinking we are doing better now than 20 years ago.

Guy

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If the above is all true, and litter is a recent problem, why did they have that famous anti-littering commercial in 1971? That's 50 years ago, so the problem then would have been our parents. So the problem is their parents' lack of parenting skills?

Basically, people are slobs, full stop.

1971 Keep America Beautiful campaign
Iron Eyes Cody

Course Iron Eyes was an Italian ( Espera Oscar de Corti )
Can't trust anything

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I throw out about 1/2 Grocery bag every other day
And I throw it INTO a proper trash container.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.