RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: We are Drowning in our...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

It is a minority and you'll never change that type.
Eight four years old and thinking we are doing better now than 20 years ago.

Guy
I dunno, I used to think it was a minority, but just a simple act like taking your own bags to the grocery store to keep those plastic bags out of the landfill seems to be too much for most people to do.

And OMG if I don't keep a close eye on the sackers, I won't get out of their store without a dozen bags, when I only have 5 items. I get a gallon of milk, it goes in a bag, which then goes into another bag. AND THE COTTENPICKIN' THING HAS A CARRY HANDLE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I throw out about 1/2 Grocery bag every other day
And I throw it INTO a proper trash container.

We use them for the small trash cans in house....bathroom , bedroom, craft room, TV room

Free trash bags

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Guy Roan wrote:

It is a minority and you'll never change that type.
Eight four years old and thinking we are doing better now than 20 years ago.

Guy
I dunno, I used to think it was a minority, but just a simple act like taking your own bags to the grocery store to keep those plastic bags out of the landfill seems to be too much for most people to do.

And OMG if I don't keep a close eye on the sackers, I won't get out of their store without a dozen bags, when I only have 5 items. I get a gallon of milk, it goes in a bag, which then goes into another bag. AND THE COTTENPICKIN' THING HAS A CARRY HANDLE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Those ultra thin plastic bags wwon't contain much weight, from someone who has had more than one slit tear open,or handle hole tear out so they use two bags. But gallons of mil usually have their own handle.
They do not breakdown as quickly as advertised/ At the commisaries you can opt for paper bags of old and we do.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I throw out about 1/2 Grocery bag every other day
And I throw it INTO a proper trash container.

We use them for the small trash cans in house....bathroom , bedroom, craft room, TV room

Free trash bags
I do the same thing haven't bought a trash bag in 35 years. Bonus I can throw out the garbage everyday so no smell.

As far as trash beside the highway I see a lot less now then I did growing up. Even most of the people walking their dogs through my neighborhood pick up after them.

There was a family at the seasonal campground that trashed the area around their cabin. When they got through with a plate of food or soft drink they just dropped the remains on the ground. The campground owner made them clean up the site. Funny they also wanted to take out a privately owned pontoon boat. Campground owner arranged to have a private owner take them around the lake for a very high fee. They also parked in the middle of the road instead of the parking area. They blocked the access road to my site. I had them move their car, the next day they did the same thing. It was the closest I came to pushing a car into the lake with my truck. I don't think anyone was disappointed when they left.

Some people have no respect for anyone but themselves and I don't know how you change that behavior. Incidents like this are very rare but stand out because of the rarity.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

If the above is all true, and litter is a recent problem, why did they have that famous anti-littering commercial in 1971? That's 50 years ago, so the problem then would have been our parents. So the problem is their parents' lack of parenting skills?

Basically, people are slobs, full stop.

1971 Keep America Beautiful campaign
Iron Eyes Cody

Course Iron Eyes was an Italian ( Espera Oscar de Corti )
Can't trust anything
Old Iron Eyes made a impression on me as a kid. My parents were bad about throwing trash out the car window and I can remember getting after them as a youngster. Usually you didn't do that to my Dad, but deep down he knew I was right so he didn't say anything.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dad made an impression on me 60 years ago with these words “Don’t walk over it, pick it up.”

After I was married, we had an empty lot behind our house. It was 1/2 block and it had a chain link fence around it & it caught litter as it blew around so it could look unsightly. Once a month in nice weather, I’d take a 5 gallon pail and walk around it. I found people’s mail ( which I dropped in the mailbox ) money, postage stamps and of course my pail was full of trash when I got home. At least I didn’t feel like I lived in the dump.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all fairness, speaking as one of those folks who participates in the "Adopt-a-Highway" program where we pick up litter along a 2-1/2 miles stretch of highway: a lot of the roadside trash is stuff that blows out of trash trucks. Finding a Wendy's wrapper, when Wendy's is 15 miles east, for example. I tend to assume the lightweight stuff is blowouts from the trucks; the minibottles of liquor, on the other hand, are definitely from the local slobs....

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fast Food wrappers, bags cups etc semm to be the preponderance of the trash items, thrown out on our property and al along the highway but I have seen bags of garbage, bottles used by over the road truckers..full of urine..and shake and bake bottles which I understant are particularly dangerous. That was along a stretch of highway when our group was ding the adopt a mile program. in our area on out road it is out of townere. Every weekend in good weather and when there is a festival. The large number of Biker clubs don't do it.I wonder if these people that throw their trash our way live in garbage heaps, or are particular at home?

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kinda like that sign that sez ", only trash litters !"

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed I concur. However I don’t think it’s only the trash trucks. Unless your talking F 150’s!
I am inclined to believe that along with the popularity of 4 door pickups came the prevalence of more road side litter.
People chuck there **** in the back of the truck with the good intentions of delivering it appropriately.
However when it disappears because of wind turbulence...they never miss it.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.