RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: We are Drowning in our...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, way less litter today because of increased education and responsibility.

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

If you are seeing less litter where you live I truly envy you.

But in Florida it looks like one trash dump from one end to the other and I attribute it to a general absence of personal responsibility and common courtesy.

It doesn't take a college education to see the obvious, a grade school dropout should be able to see a mess along the roads and the fact that it takes a lot of tax money to clean it all up.

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I do have to agree there is less litter than when I was growing up. We lived outside the city, and regularly walked to school. We would pick up pop bottles and could usually collect enough on the walk to and from school, about a mile one way, to buy some candy at the local small store.

When I was bicycling and running some years back, the lack of litter was always heartening. The roads were never totally trash free, but much better than I remembered as a kid.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

In all fairness, speaking as one of those folks who participates in the "Adopt-a-Highway" program where we pick up litter along a 2-1/2 miles stretch of highway: a lot of the roadside trash is stuff that blows out of trash trucks. Finding a Wendy's wrapper, when Wendy's is 15 miles east, for example. I tend to assume the lightweight stuff is blowouts from the trucks; the minibottles of liquor, on the other hand, are definitely from the local slobs....

15 miles on HWY.....55 mph
13.5 minutes is long enough to choke down a Wendy's burger

So not necessarily a 'trash truck' just trashy people

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

images wrote:

Oh this is a hot button issue for me, the roadside trash problem is only a part of the issue.
The issue is a total people who lack of respect and common courtesy for themselves other people or the world they live in.
Our country every day looks more like the third world countries that people are trying to escape from.
I have tried to think of a solution and the only thing I can think of is to make littering so painful if caught the perpetrator would not want to engage in said behavior .
I mean really stiff like impounding the vehicle until a massive fine is paid.
A penalties make a difference when I moved to lake Geneva Wisconsin I worked for the power company and hardly a week would go by without our facilities being trashed by a drunk driver, sometimes two or three a week.
But then Wisconsin stiffened the penalties and when I left twenty five years later it was unusual for a crash involving a drunk driver vs power pole.
The cost of the enforcement could easily be paid by fines and the government would not have to pay for trash pickup along the road.
When people behave like children you have to treat them like children and get their attention.

With 1,000 people a day moving to Florida,(According to recent news reports) you’re likely to see an increase in trash pollution, unfortunately. On the other hand, all that extra weight may cause FLA to sink below the ocean anyway. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SURRRR...........PRISE........ $1,000.00 fine plus court costs and a point penalty against your driving record?

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

images wrote:

Oh this is a hot button issue for me, the roadside trash problem is only a part of the issue.
The issue is a total people who lack of respect and common courtesy for themselves other people or the world they live in.
Our country every day looks more like the third world countries that people are trying to escape from.
I have tried to think of a solution and the only thing I can think of is to make littering so painful if caught the perpetrator would not want to engage in said behavior .
I mean really stiff like impounding the vehicle until a massive fine is paid.
A penalties make a difference when I moved to lake Geneva Wisconsin I worked for the power company and hardly a week would go by without our facilities being trashed by a drunk driver, sometimes two or three a week.
But then Wisconsin stiffened the penalties and when I left twenty five years later it was unusual for a crash involving a drunk driver vs power pole.
The cost of the enforcement could easily be paid by fines and the government would not have to pay for trash pickup along the road.
When people behave like children you have to treat them like children and get their attention.

With 1,000 people a day moving to Florida,(According to recent news reports) you’re likely to see an increase in trash pollution, unfortunately. On the other hand, all that extra weight may cause FLA to sink below the ocean anyway. [emoticon]

As I recall there was a congressman a few years back that was concerned about basically the same thing when the marines were considering increasing their presence in Guam.
He was afraid that the island could roll over if there were too many Marines there.
In our situation we are connected to the mainland but it I suppose if there was too much weight the southern part of the state could sink.
I'm in central Florida so I think we would be OK.[emoticon]

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have friends and family in FLA. Another situation they face is a propensity for sinkholes. I think certain areas are more prone than others, but I'd hate to be driving on a street and unexpectedly swallowed up by a sudden hole appearing beneath my vehicle.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, it is NOT ONLY Florida: States most prone to sinkholes Most damage occurs in 7 states. Our state is in that list also.

But back to the topic please: "Should Garbage / Trash Disposal, Recycling & Sanitation be something that should be taught by the Public Schools in hopes of getting the message through to some of the population? Or a government campaign to address the issue?" Thanks.

* This post was edited 10/08/20 07:58pm by Moderator *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

But back to the topic please: "Should Garbage / Trash Disposal, Recycling & Sanitation be something that should be taught by the Public Schools in hopes of getting the message through to some of the population? Or a government campaign to address the issue?" Thanks.

Totally agree .....our schools could be doing more to help with this serious problem. Driving down the street a school is on in a large city or driving by a school in a small town we see trash every where blow up against fences.
Cities and towns coul;d do more also.
Adults/parents can't be expected to help as their just as trashy as their kids by trowing litter out their vehicles windows.

Out here the biggest trash problem comes from farmers and ranchers who just throw their paper/plastic feed sacks in the pickup bed or behind the cab on their flat bed feeder trucks......then looses them on the next drive to town.

Traveling around the country some state are worse than others. Now I was born in OK almost 80 years ago but I would have to say my state is one of the more trashy states especially around a local small town convenience stores/Walmarts/schools/etc. Litter and trash for the first mile in all directions from these places.
Yeah I see lot more litter along our roads now days vs what I saw as a young man.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> We are Drowning in our...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.