|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> generator question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
hud60

nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does anyone know if I can pair a 2021 onan gen. prepped 5th wheel with a Honda 6500 generator? could a knowlable electrician be able to do this?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All kinds of gens are used to power RVs. My concerns would be exhaust, carrying gasoline, noise/vibration, everything else.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I ask what you are attempting to run?

* This post was edited 09/20/20 01:14pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming you don't have the Onan generator in the RV, just the prep package for a generator.

It should be entirely possible to wire in a connection for the Honda generator to the prep wiring. Fuel connections and physically installing the generator in the space are likely to be rather more difficult, and might be altogether impractical or impossible.

Note that the Honda EB6500 and EM6500 generators (in all their subvariants) are open-frame, contractor style generators and as such fairly loud. The EU7000IS is a quiet inverter generator, and would be much preferred, particularly if you're camping in proximity to other people.

If you have the Onan generator installed, paralleling it with a Honda generator won't work.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manual for the Honda 6500 says to keep it 3 ft away from everything while it is running. How big is the spot where you want to install it?

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Afaict those are not inverter gens. An electrician *may* be able to.. really don't know.

hud60

nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I'm assuming you don't have the Onan generator in the RV, just the prep package for a generator.

It should be entirely possible to wire in a connection for the Honda generator to the prep wiring. Fuel connections and physically installing the generator in the space are likely to be rather more difficult, and might be altogether impractical or impossible.

Note that the Honda EB6500 and EM6500 generators (in all their subvariants) are open-frame, contractor style generators and as such fairly loud. The EU7000IS is a quiet inverter generator, and would be much preferred, particularly if you're camping in proximity to other people.

If you have the Onan generator installed, paralleling it with a Honda generator won't work.

hud60

nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the generator is an eu6500 very quiet. it stays in our pu box to use while traveling. it will not be installed in rv. just want to be able to control from rv while parked for the night

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are in luck; the remote control connections for the Honda generator appear to me to likely be compatible with typical Onan controls, at least for the start and stop controls. The pilot light circuit may not be compatible. Your generator manual has a wiring diagram that includes the remote control connections for the start and stop controls.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what the question is now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> generator question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.