|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electronic Driving Systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BlendedRVFam

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! We're looking to buy a Class A to full-time with our 4 kids. I'm having trouble locating this info and wondered if you knowledgeable folks could help. What years were the electronic Driving Systems put in motorhomes? Specifically, Tiffin, Monaco, Winnebago, Newman. I'm basically wondering how old of a home we could buy that still has the systems we'd like- stability, braking, traction, adaptive cruise control, etc. I realize these can be added after-market but I'd prefer to not go that route. Thanks so much!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what electronic driving systems mean to you. Power steering, automatic trannys, cameras etc are common for at least 20 years. Adaptive cruise control (depending upon what you mean by that) is not as common except perhaps higher end models.

I'm wondering if you're focused on the wrong items considering you'll have 6 people living in a very small area? Maybe you could find a MH with bunk beds. ie Living space might be more important than driving considerations.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maintenance records and condition as determined by a house and chassis inspection by a pro is far more important when considering an older A IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BlendedRVFam

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe, but I figure layouts can be modified, electronics cannot as easily. So stability control, rollover prevention, things like that are typically only found on the higher end brands?

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlendedRVFam wrote:

Maybe, but I figure layouts can be modified, electronics cannot as easily. So stability control, rollover prevention, things like that are typically only found on the higher end brands?

Only Prevost and Newell for the stability control and rollover prevention build in. Could be wrong and left out a some.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO... The ultimate roll over protection (not prevention)
Is a Bluebird wander lodge

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more complex the system the greater the likelihood of failure. I would stay away from such items.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Monaco line, only the luxury coaches were built on a steel frame. All the others are aluminum. Only if you're concerned about rolling your coach over from time to time. Rarely do you find coaches rolling over although it does occur...Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

In the Monaco line, only the luxury coaches were built on a steel frame. All the others are aluminum. Only if you're concerned about rolling your coach over from time to time. Rarely do you find coaches rolling over although it does occur...Dennis

Sorry Dennis , I think you meant to say the metal cage ( frame )
the house / body is built around is aluminum on some models .
Monaco started using aluminum frames for the body in 03 AFAIK
The actual chassis / frame is steel on all of them .
Ray

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlendedRVFam,

First of all, welcome to the Forums. You can find a lot of great information here.

Second, we were a family of six back in 2004 when we bought the gas Class A in our signature. It took us about two years of research, MUCH of which was done right here on these forums and providing some wonderful advice for our first RV. (OK, disclaimer...I started looking for a small hybrid to tow behind our Honda Odyssey and ended up buying a 22,000 lb. GVWR Class A with which we tow our Honda Odyssey as our TOAD. BUT...it WAS the right decision for us. Moral of this story: TAKE YOUR TIME and do your research! By the way, bunk Class A floorplans were just coming out when we purchased, but I've YET to see one I'd trade our dual sofa layout for. Again, do the research so you buy the right floorplan the first time.).

Third, just what is your budget? If you're looking in the $500k+ price range, than I'm out of my league for recommendations, so you can just skip over the rest of my post. [emoticon]

But, if you're in the $80k-$200k range, then maybe this will help. I don't know how much experience you have with RV's in general, and motorhomes specifically, but you realize that you're looking at a vehicle that's approximately 12' high, 8' wide and 36' feel long, weighing in at 20,000+ lbs., give or take. This is not a 3,500 lb. family sedan. I don't know of any motorhome which has that which you seek, other than cruise control. There might be steering stabilizers, but those are mostly mechanical, not electrical. Ditto for other handling improvements.

What I say next, I'm trying to say with as much tact as possible. If you feel like you need such things to be able to comfortably drive a motorhome, then, quite honestly, I think you should consider looking at other RV'ing solutions. Driving a vehicle of this size requires a level of commitment much greater than the family sedan/minivan/SUV/pickup truck. You need to anticipate situations FAR in advance, always be aware of every vehicle around you, and be prepared for the sh*tb*x Prius to pass you and then step on the brakes! LOL I WOULD NOT trust ANY "automatic" system to control my motorhome. Again, I don't mean this to sound harsh, but when you drive a vehicle of this size, you need to develop a completely different mindset. Most can do it. My wife, however, is one who doesn't adapt to it too well. She gets all "tense" when cars pass her. She like to be "in the lead"...a habit she apparently picked up back in her 20's when she had her Mustang...A motorhome IS NOT a Mustang OR a minivan....but I digress. She has trouble pulling into the right lane to let others pass, and tends to get really upset when someone passes her and slows down in front of her. Aggravating, yes, but you have to just let things like that go when you're driving your family in a rig such as this. If you're like my wife...again, you might want to consider other options. She's good for about 2 hours, tops, behind the wheel and then I just take over again.

Understand that driving such a rig in the wind is like driving a sail boat. I haven't driven in winds so high that I had to pull over, but many have. You have to be ready to do that. Even passing trucks can sometimes give you a nudge with their bow wave, depending upon your rig. Likewise snow or ice starts falling, or the roads are wet and things are freezing, pull over and wait it out. Then be ready to climb up to the roof to clear off the stuff before you hit the road. GREAT FUN! LOL

That said, I think my family is safer when we travel in our 22,000 lb. motorhome than when we travel in either my SUV or the minivan. In a collision, mass is your friend. If you drive defensively, safely and with common sense, you'll be fine. I can drive the motorhome for hours in complete comfort. It's actually quite relaxing, partly because I know if someone needs the potty...it's with us...so no pressure to rush to the next Rest Stop. I have found THAT little convenience to be a huge stress reliever, regardless of the age of the kids. [emoticon]

OK, again, I'm not trying to be critical or be a downer for you, but perhaps you need to rethink what you're really looking for. Or reprioritize your needs? But that's what this forum is all about! [emoticon]

Good Luck,

~Rick

* This post was edited 09/21/20 06:12pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel), 1 girl (19), 2 boys (20 & 17).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electronic Driving Systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.