RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Question on Jayco cargo carrying capacity

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question on Jayco cargo carrying capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

ACZL wrote:

FWIW, our Big Country weighs 14,000 dry w/ max weight of 16,000. Fully loaded, we have 1,980 lbs of "stuff" for a road ready weight of 15,980! Whew!!

Don't pack a lunch and thermos of coffee. You'll be maxed out! [emoticon]

Too much truck, not enough trailer![emoticon]

Kind of fun to say that![emoticon]

Jerry

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting... the dry weight went up by 1,000 pounds from 2015 to 2016, but the GVWR stayed the same. Looks like the dry weight stayed close to the same from 2016 to 2017, but the GVWR jumped by 1,000 pounds. Seems as though they realized there were some weight issues growing as the trailer became more updated and buffed up their weakest links after the 2016 model year.

That said, for the 2016, it's hard to tell what the 'options' were. Generator, residential fridge, larger awnings, cargo trays... the list goes on of what could have been considered options. Some of those larger items could have easily eaten up that 1,000 pounds.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/20 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked out the build sheet for our travel trailer that was supposed to weigh 4,800 pounds. The options added over 500 additional pounds, an extra 10%. When you check an options package they can be heavy. They documented added weight for the bedspread, burner cover, pillows, entry steps, double pane windows, air conditioner, mattress upgrade and more. Many things added weight which one would have thought would have been standard.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

ACZL wrote:

FWIW, our Big Country weighs 14,000 dry w/ max weight of 16,000. Fully loaded, we have 1,980 lbs of "stuff" for a road ready weight of 15,980! Whew!!

Don't pack a lunch and thermos of coffee. You'll be maxed out! [emoticon]

Too much truck, not enough trailer![emoticon]

Kind of fun to say that![emoticon]

Jerry

LMAO but so very true!!

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading all the add-ons, I can see where the weight would add up. 550o generator with 10 gallon tank, Thermopane windows, Washer dryer and a winegard directv system.

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Landmark is 1300 over factory weight without the gen set at 14600 sticker dry weight

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Pinnacle model has a brochure listed unloaded vehicle weight of 12,725. Loaded for a month long trip with a full fridge and freezer, full pantry, 1/3 full fresh water tank, a closet full of clothes, etc. it weighs 14,740, which breaks down to 11,620 on the axles and 3120 on the pin. The GVWR for my Pinnacle is 15,500 and it has the Dexter 7K axles. We don't have a generator but did have a Splendide washer/dryer installed on the nose which I think adds about 165 pounds. In addition, we have a 220 pound Reese Goose Box which replaced the MORryde pin. That added some weight as I'm sure the Box weighs more than the MORryde.

The point I'm trying to make is without taking it to a scales it's hard to say where it would light weight wise. Since you evidently don't own it yet weighing it loaded for a trip might not be possible. After accounting for the washer and the Goose Box I'm figuring we added about 1600 pounds, part of which is stuff I always carry like tools, sewer and water hoses, a couple of Dish portable satellites, extension cords, etc. It adds up quick and you would have to be judicious with what you add to stay within the CCC of 1492 pounds.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR, 4562 payload capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question on Jayco cargo carrying capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.