|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Steamed Clams, Pacific NW - Washington

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link for today's tide chart 09/23/2020

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you go when it's hard to harvest?

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

I'm a bit baffled about how expensive ferry rides ($3.50/person, $1.75/senior for a walk-on to Port Townsend from Coupeville (Keystone). . . cheap for the experience) and crowded Deception Pass (20 miles to the North, which is another great and worthwhile experience) has anything to do with great steamed clams?

Take the ferry to Port Townsend for the afternoon and visit Deception Pass State Park on your way to Coupeville. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and haven't been overwhelmed by yuppies yet.

This is a camping forum and I assume they will be taking a camper to see the sights, then add wait time. Not every one walks on, so they walk on and end up in Clinton. They hitchhike or wait for a bus? How much time waiting for the bus Clinton to Coupeville? Coupeville to DP? DP back to Clinton? If you live there you know it takes hours to get across most of the time, especially weekends. Just from your response I suspect your one of the liberals and drive a Prious, your not a Sherman or Engle that's for sure. There are 3 separate ares, military north, central was farming & dairy now taken over by liberals, and south with the alternative living folks. I'm am so glad to be away from the entire states liberals.

BTW my RV's 37ft pulled by an F350 Crew cab super duty long bed, I guess 50ft-60ft so $71.00 each way, I can buy a lot of clams for $142.

Ferry fares:
Vehicle, Motorcycle, and Stowage Fares
Vehicle Under 14' (less than 168”) & Driver $9.70
Vehicle Under 22' (standard veh) & Driver $12.25
Vehicle U14' (less than 168") & Sr/Disability Driver $8.30
Vehicle U22' (standard veh) & Sr/Disability Driver $10.85
Motorcycle & Driver $5.45
Motorcycle & Senior/Disability Driver $4.05
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 30' Under 7'2 in. $18.15
Vehicle Under 30' Over 7'2 in. $35.75
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50
Cost per foot over 80' $1.20 a foot

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Actually I live here... it is in front of my house, about 75 yards from my bulkhead. I own the tidelands.

The bi-valves that we plant encourage the growth of eelgrass that encourages herring row, that encourage salmon, that encourage Orca whales.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

I'm a bit baffled about how expensive ferry rides ($3.50/person, $1.75/senior for a walk-on to Port Townsend from Coupeville (Keystone). . . cheap for the experience) and crowded Deception Pass (20 miles to the North, which is another great and worthwhile experience) has anything to do with great steamed clams?

Take the ferry to Port Townsend for the afternoon and visit Deception Pass State Park on your way to Coupeville. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and haven't been overwhelmed by yuppies yet.

This is a camping forum and I assume they will be taking a camper to see the sights, then add wait time. Not every one walks on, so they walk on and end up in Clinton. They hitchhike or wait for a bus? How much time waiting for the bus Clinton to Coupeville? Coupeville to DP? DP back to Clinton? If you live there you know it takes hours to get across most of the time, especially weekends. Just from your response I suspect your one of the liberals and drive a Prious, your not a Sherman or Engle that's for sure. There are 3 separate ares, military north, central was farming & dairy now taken over by liberals, and south with the alternative living folks. I'm am so glad to be away from the entire states liberals.

BTW my RV's 37ft pulled by an F350 Crew cab super duty long bed, I guess 50ft-60ft so $71.00 each way, I can buy a lot of clams for $142.

Ferry fares:
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50

Why would you ever consider doing the ferry from Clinton to Whidbey Island? It's expensive and prone to overuse. The poster is coming to explore our area. The route around the North end of Whidbey Island is usually faster without waits and is more interesting.

I'm sorry that your political issues have influenced your reasoning. I suspect that the moderators are about to remove your posts.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Yes, I miss mussels, especially Coconut Green Curry Mussels, which is a somewhat difficult recipe.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Yes, I miss mussels, especially Coconut Green Curry Mussels, which is a somewhat difficult recipe.

Would you mind posting your favorite recipe for steamers?

Thanks

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Ferry fares:
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50

Why would you ever consider doing the ferry from Clinton to Whidbey Island? It's expensive and prone to overuse. The poster is coming to explore our area. The route around the North end of Whidbey Island is usually faster without waits and is more interesting.

I'm sorry that your political issues have influenced your reasoning. I suspect that the moderators are about to remove your posts.

The OP asked about steamed clams and has no idea what the areas like. Looking at maps you find two ways to get there and with no knowledge he could well take the ferry route, and be very disappointed he did. I know exactly where you are I visited the owner of the tow service regularly. Tell me how he gets to Coupeville without his vehicle, should he leave the RV in Skagit Co? With out a years prior reservations he'll not find a camp site unless you'll let him use your yard. Yes it's beautiful on Whidbey, that's why is getting impossible to get there to visit unless you know someone or want to stay in a motel. It's cheap to go there when you can walk on the ferry and walk home, it's that's simple. Gas $2.99 - $3.05 when the national average is $2.19, every thing there is over priced, you pay for location. He's pulling an RV and likely has a diesel, what's the current price there, $1.85 here a couple days ago. Whats he do with that RV if he's to go to Port Townsend? The food maybe great in Coupelville but your going to pay for it muti times over.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW. I'm without words with your responses. I'm glad that you have moved on and are now far, far away! Reading comprehension is apparently not important to you.

In the nearly 50 years that I have lived in the area, I do not know anyone who travels to Coupeville or areas north of there who actually uses the Clinton Ferry to get there. I've worked in Oak Harbor, Coupeville, and Port Townsend for many years. Do not take the ferry from Clinton to get to Coupeville, no one suggested it! Get it?

The steamed clams are worth the trip.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Would you mind posting your favorite recipe for steamers?

Thanks

STEAMED CLAMS

2 T Butter
2 T Olive oil
3 -- Cloves garlic, minced (I often use less)
2 -- Shallots, finely chopped (I usually use a sweet onion)
1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 cup Dry white wine
4 lbs. Manila clams
3 T Fresh chives
2 -- Lemons
-- -- Grilled baguette

Combine the butter and olive oil in a large shallow skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and the red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant but not burned.

Add the wine and increase the heat to medium-high to bring the wine to a simmer.

Add the clams, cover with the lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams that are still closed. Add the chives and juice from 1 lemon and give the pot a quick stir.

Transfer the clams and the cooking liquid to a large serving bowl and serve with pieces of toasted bread to soak up the cooking liquid. Provide extra lemons on the side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Steamed Clams, Pacific NW - Washington
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.