|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking about buying a class c

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In MD make sure the unit you buy is already state inspected because that is a can of worms if not....but it never has to be done again. A diesel is even better, never an emissions inspection. I had a couple of Cs a long time ago another thing to check is the furl tank.....neither of those 2 I had would go 200mi on a tank.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things to look for I have found value in while having in a class C ….

Walk into shower. Some showers you have to step up to get into them.

Corner shower, some are bigger than others. Big ones are real roomy inside.

Wall switches for turning lights on & off.

Counter space by the kitchen sink for food prep.

Large outside rear storage. They can be up to 100cu ft.

No window over the headboard of the bed.

Livable with slide(s) in.

A north south bed that is offset to one side. That gives you room to walk & dress on one side.

60x80 real queen bed. Uses standard bed sheets and such.

Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis. As a Ford guy, I have found the Chevy better. Hate to admit that.

Just a comment. All class Cs have an overhead above the cab designed to be a bed or audio center. It is a great place for storing things. My current rig has lots of storage behind the TV in the overhead area.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

LM3

Baltimore

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is the best place to find used class c motor homes?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LM3 wrote:

Where is the best place to find used class c motor homes?

As best as I can tell, the RVTrader web site is the best game in town. It allows you to set up a search with parameters such as length, distance from you, price, etc. Then you can save the search and get emails when something comes up that fits your criteria. That's how I found my motorhome.

Craigslist is SOMETIMES OK, but beware of scams. ONLY deal with someone local.

Facebook Marketplace is another source. You can narrow the distance and price, but that's about all the filters that work well. The advantage is that you can look up the seller. Again, only deal with someone local.

If you do search outside your geographic area, be sure to hunt for a good inspector.

I would not buy a RV that you have to get shipped to you.

NEVER buy an RV without inspection, preferably by yourself.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

LM3

Baltimore

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I get opinions on something like this?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3138787092856485

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to judge condition based on pictures and a dealer's claims. That said, it does appear to be pretty well kept up.

One thing to think about carefully with this unit is the lack of a fixed bed. This means you'll have to either clamber up to the cabover bunk to sleep (and clamber down to use the restroom), or convert the dinette or sofa into a bed every night and back again every day...and put up with their lumpiness. The cabover bunk can be comfortable enough to lie down on, but likely has low headroom--sitting up straight may well be impossible--and may not get much air conditioning airflow.

The trimmed off rear ladder is strange and unhelpful.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The MH is way over priced at $14k for a 24 year old MH. It should sell for $5-6K according to Nada.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to disagree with coolmom a little bit and lay out the decision process in my opinion:

#1 floor plan. This is one thing you cannot change after purchase. Basically all RV manufacturers are making the same floor plans with subtle differences, so pick floor plan first regardless of brand. Corner bed/walk around bed, slides/no slides, cabover/no cabover, basement, etc.

#2 chassis. Now that you have chosen your floor plan, you pick chassis brand and wheelbase. Its important here to throw any brand loyalty you may have out the window and focus on your specific needs in this specific situation. I am a hardcore lifetime Chevy guy, but have a Ford based class C I bought brand new in 2019, my third RV (after two Chevy based rigs over 25 years.) I am not endorsing Ford over Chevy here (even though it works fantastic for us) just using it as an example to show its important to disregard any chassis brand loyalty here and focus on the facts to find the best fit for your specific situation at this moment.

#3 Model - once you have your floor plan and chassis brand you should shop model. Since every manufacturer has the same floor plans, and you are past that now, you are now looking at details. Interior layout, cabinets vs drawers, carpet vs vinyl, LED vs incandescent, tank sizes, porcelain vs plastic toilet, etc.

Always remember that there are a zillion RV manufacturers making a zillion RV models, someone somewhere is making the exact RV you are looking for. Don't rush or sign anything and with patience you and your perfect RV will meet soon.

Patrick

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another important consideration: Are you willing to pull a towed vehicle? I am not. That limited my length to less than 26 feet, just a number I picked for reasonable ability to park most places. Limiting the length immediately limited the models and floor plan.

I put in the length, price, type, etc in RVTrader and set up alerts. It was nearly a year before a motorhome came up within my distance limits that met my specs.

I would have to buy a vehicle to use for a towed vehicle if I went that route. I crunched a few numbers and decided I could get a LOT of rental car days for the price of a vehicle and set-up. If I were staying in one spot and doing a lot of sight-seeing for a while, a rental car would be the route to go.

LM3

Baltimore

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question. If I bought something like this and was willing to put some money int it, would I be able to use it?
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1996-Damon-HORNET-5013777246

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking about buying a class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.