|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter cover for TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Florida and have never covered our TT. This year I plan to winterize it and leave it in Colorado October through June. It will be at about 8,300 ft elevation, so quite cold, lots of snow and very low humidity. Also intense sun at that altitude. 

I'm pretty sure it should be covered, for protection from the sun if nothing else. Here's my question:

Can, or maybe should, I use tarps instead of a breathable cover? Beside the fact that the tarps would be much cheaper, I'm wondering if the breathable cover would allow moisture from the snow that will accumulate on the roof to affect the RV. Tarps wouldn't let moisture in, and in the low humidity there wouldn't be moisture inside that would need to get out.
Anyone have any thoughts, or experience?
Thanks!

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Breathable coverings are always better for RVs than ones that don't IMO. Use extra straps too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tarp will get mildew underneath. It will scuff the surface of your RV if it moves, and if long exposure the tarp will start to deteriorate with weather and wind.

A RV cover is much higher quality than a typical tarp. And probably not that much more expensive when you start looking at how many tarps or the cost of a large tarp that can cover most RV's.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

A tarp will get mildew underneath. It will scuff the surface of your RV if it moves, and if long exposure the tarp will start to deteriorate with weather and wind.

A RV cover is much higher quality than a typical tarp. And probably not that much more expensive when you start looking at how many tarps or the cost of a large tarp that can cover most RV's.

exactly. a plastic tarp is a BAD idea, will trap moisture, scuff the surface. In our community RV lot it seems like every year someone (tries to) cover their trailer with a tarp. Even with moderate wind and moderate sun, by the end of the year it's shredded and the next year that trailer is either uncovered or a trailer cover over it. And then someone else tries the same experiment, same result.

What I can say is that the trailers that are covered with a trailer cover are in much better shape than those that are not. No yellow plastic, minimal or no black streaks, no chalky faded sides, no cracked peeling decals.

Now, we seldom have winds over 25mph and even those are rare, and lots of rain but not a great deal of sun or snow.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two motorhomes and leave one of them covered all winter. I bought a good quality breathable rv cover which covers the entire motorhome. I then bought a blue plastic tarp of a size that covers the roof and only comes down over the sides and front and rear cap about a foot. The tarp does NOT cover the windows.

I leave a roof vent open(it has a vent cover over it). We get quite a bit of snow, wind, and rain and I have never had any mildew or mold because of the breathable cover and the tarp not covering the windows. We also have never had any chafing on the motorhome since the tarp only comes down about a foot over the edge of the roof. You could leave a window cracked if more ventilation is wanted. This method has worked for several years for us without any problems.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who's shoveling the snow off that trailer?

rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Seems like I better start shopping for a cover. Any suggestions for the best/least expensive option, and where to look for one?

And, it will be at my daughter's, so there's someone to help with the snow. Good question though.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

National RV Covers should be considered.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:

We have two motorhomes and leave one of them covered all winter. I bought a good quality breathable rv cover which covers the entire motorhome. I then bought a blue plastic tarp of a size that covers the roof and only comes down over the sides and front and rear cap about a foot. The tarp does NOT cover the windows.

I leave a roof vent open(it has a vent cover over it). We get quite a bit of snow, wind, and rain and I have never had any mildew or mold because of the breathable cover and the tarp not covering the windows. We also have never had any chafing on the motorhome since the tarp only comes down about a foot over the edge of the roof. You could leave a window cracked if more ventilation is wanted. This method has worked for several years for us without any problems.

Why do you use a tarp on top of the cover?

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

hotjag1 wrote:

Why do you use a tarp on top of the cover?

The breathable rv cover is not waterproof, so even though I check and keep all roof seams sealed, I don't want any possibility of water getting in a roof seam crack that may appear during the winter. The tarp is waterproof.

* This post was edited 09/26/20 12:20am by hotjag1 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter cover for TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.