RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does is say on your insurance policy? Do you have a special writer for that coverage?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No insurance is going to swoop in with white gloves and keep your life on track. Claim and repair will proceed as usual. Any immediate need will be on you to make arraignments.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No insurance is going to swoop in with white gloves and keep your life on track. Claim and repair will proceed as usual. Any immediate need will be on you to make arraignments.

Yup, this.

I know what a smack in the chops losing your TV just before a big trip. Been there, done that, although not due to an accident. My TV blew the head gasket a couple days before we were scheduled to head out to Yellowstone. Given that we'd planned to take two weeks to even get there, we had plenty of time to cancel reservations and make new plans. We wound up flying in to Salt Lake City, renting a car, and staying in hotels instead of camping. It was still a great trip, just not quite how we'd planned it.

As @time2roll said, the only obligation any insurance company has is to do the standard rent-a-car and fix/replace your damaged vehicle. If you had a fabulous vacation planned, that's your problem, not theirs. While you can argue about it, you aren't likely to prevail in court, and that route will be years in pursuing.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Might be best to use a U-Haul thruck or van. I've seen U-Haul box trucks towing cars and small trailers when people move. U-Haul does rent pickup trucks and regular vans. Tell the insurance you want a U-Haul rental or reimburse the cost of your trip and reservations.

Several years ago someone spun out and hit the right rear tire of my SUV after we had 14 inches of snow, sending me into a guardrail doing $1600 worth of damage to the left front. I was going to pick up my old TT to bring it home since deer season was ending. I told their insurance I needed a truck or an SUV because I had to bring the trailer home. They provided me a rental pickup from Enterprise. When I went to pick it up and sign the papers they told me I couldn't tow with it. So I had a brand new Silverado extended cab to drive around and had to wait over 2 weeks untill i got my SUV back to pick up the trailer.

A couple years ago my truck broke down and I needed a vehicle for a couple days to get back and forth to work. I also needed to take a few loads to the dump in my utility trailer while i had someone available to help me. I rented a practically brand new pickup truck from U-Haul for a couple days. I was told there was no problem using it for towing.
My comment is a little off-topic, but... I have vowed never again to rent anything from U-Haul. A couple years ago my cargo trailer broke down mid-day during work (selling and delivering books and other items to schools) and I needed some way to finish up. So I drove to the nearest U-Haul dealer to rent a trailer. The guy took my driver’s license and credit card and was inputting data into his computer, then he told me he needed the name and phone number of someone he could call right then to verify that I am who I say I am. I wasn’t about to bother one of my customers, and of the only two people I could think of (my wife and my son) neither answered their phone. He simply would not rent that trailer to a 60 year old small business owner dressed in business-casual. I did not appreciate this and wrote an email to U-Haul management, but the responding manager told me this was routine, proper anti-theft procedure and he stood behind the action taken 100%. They basically treated me like a criminal. I will never need a trailer rental badly enough to rent from U-Haul.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a serious medical condition 1/2 way into a "trip of the lifetime". Simply call and cancel all the reservations from the hospital bed. Then a few weeks later dead-head home. No problem.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oct 18, 2012 an approaching drunk driver turned left right dead in front of me. All I could do was nail the brakes and brace for impact.
$20,000. damage to my current truck in sig.

This was my work truck and tow vehicle. I told the insurance company that a small car is not acceptable and that I must have either another truck I can put my rack and toolboxes on, or a truck that can tow a trailer. I told them I can not and will not accept a car.

The infamously horrible ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) reluctantly agreed to rent me a truck I could tow with, and they did.

For the duration of the repairs, several weeks, I used a rental truck and towed a flatdeck trailer with my rack and toolboxes strapped to the trailer.

So it can be done, but as other posts above suggest, rental companies don't want you towing anything with their vehicles. I had to do a lot of searching to find one that would, but I found one.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your insurance will do whatever you contract provides for.

Someone else's insurance will provide a rental but not a tow vehicle.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a couple of weeks ago, think on I-85 in GA or SC, I saw a U-Haul It pickup towing a travel trailer. So, guess he(she) solved their problem. Wonder about a brake controller, tho.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago my DRW F-350 was severely damaged and the insurance paid for a truck I rented for 5 weeks while it was repaired at the rate of $100 per day.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My buddy hit a deer a week before a big family vacation. I loaned him my truck so he could still take his 5th wheel. It’s good to have friends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.